It’s easy to do the Zero Waste Challenge when you are at a place like Tufts, where recycling bins abound and compost drops are available on campus. Still, here are some good tips to keep in mind:
- Snack on fresh fruit – it’s healthier AND it’s compostable.
- Carry a small tupperware to put food to compost later.
- Bring your lunch and use the container to get takeout for dinner.
- Get your drinks without a straw.
- Avoid individually wrapped tea or drink loose leaf tea.
- Always bring a reusable mug or water bottle.
Photo courtesy of Tufts Dining
- Save 20 cents at Mugar Cafe, Tower Cafe, Brown & Brew, Hodgdon Good-to-Go & Commons Deli if you bring your own mug.
- The Tufts “Choose to Reuse” clear water bottle will get you a discount on any fountain beverage at Mugar Cafe, Hodgdon Good-to-Go, Commons Deli, and Tower Cafe. Water and sparkling water will also be discounted at Hotung Cafe.
A few things to remember:
- Aluminum foil and yogurt cups are recyclable.
- All napkins are compostable.
- Any rigid plastic can be recycled – including coffee stirrers. (It doesn’t have to fit through the openings of the recycling bin, by the way – just lift the cover.)
- Energy bar wrappers and chip bags are recyclable. Tufts has Terracycle brigades on campus.
For more information on recycling and composting at Tufts, visit the TuftsRecycles! website.
Good luck and have fun!
Kalu Yala is a sustainable community that will be built in the mountains about 45 minutes outside Panama City, Panama. The Kalu Yala Internship Program is an exciting opportunity for students and young professionals who are looking to gain work experience and broaden their cultural outlook. Our interns create projects that are tailored to their individual interest, yet are fundamentally involved in the shaping of the Kalu Yala community. We are currently offering internships in the following programs:
- Business Development in Panama City
- Digital Development in Panama City
- Community Outreach in San Miguel
- English as a Second Language in San Miguel
- Outdoor Recreation in the Valley
- Living Systems (Agriculture, Animal Science, and Biology) in the Valley
Kalu Yala is looking for passionate, self-starting individuals who wish to help inspire and continue the progress of our work. We are seeking individuals from all backgrounds who will be able to flourish in a whole-systems, entrepreneurial research environment. Upcoming semester dates: Spring Internship: January 14th- April 12th, Summer Internship: May 20th- August 2nd.
Students can apply online by filling in the application form here or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.