ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The position reports to the DPW City Arborist and works closely with the Landscape Administrator for the DPW. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsibly represent the Cambridge Department of Public Works – Parks and Forestry Division
- Inspect, water, and maintain selected young trees throughout the City.
- Ride a bike with trailer attached loaded with equipment and connect equipment to fire hydrants in order to water trees and fill ‘Gator Bags’ with water. Weed existing tree wells
- Interact with residents and businesses and educate them about tree care.
- Supervise volunteers.
- Perform related tasks as needed.
Background in urban forestry, horticulture, or environmental studies. Some supervisory experience working with volunteers highly desirable Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture, Forestry or Environmental Studies strongly preferred. Ability to identify common tree species. Ability to work independently. Strong communication and writing skills. Excellent interpersonal skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Exposure to all weather conditions. Work outside for extended periods of time. Ride a bike for several miles a day. Pre-employment Physical Examination may be required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
HOURS PER WEEK: 30 hrs per week, temporary position (up to 10 weeks during summer). Schedule will vary based upon business need, and will include some early evening and weekend hours
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes will begin 5/31/13.
City of Cambridge residents especially are encouraged to apply.