ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Reports to the DPW City Arborist and works closely with the Information Systems Manager for the DPW. Specific duties include but are not limited to the following:
- Assist in updating an inventory of street trees in the City.
- Create and/or update the tree inventory for the Cambridge Common, Cambridge Cemetery, Cambridge Golf Course and various other locations throughout the City.
- Collect information on street trees including caliper, species and location.
- Record location of trees in the field using GIS software.
- Field survey on foot covering potentially +/- 5 miles a day
- Coordinate work through the DPW Forestry Unit and MIS
Working knowledge in personal computer operation and experience in working with Windows programs such as Access, Excel and Word. Proficiency in GIS as well as an MCA, ISA and/or MCLP certification is a plus. Undergraduate coursework in Horticulture/Forestry/Plant Biology desired. Massachusetts Driver’s License Class D preferable.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Ability to identify common tree species
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to read a map
- Good writing skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Moderate physical activity including lifting, bending, squatting, stretching, pushing, dragging, reaching, and pulling. Walk up to several miles a day. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions. Employee will be exposed to all weather conditions.
HOURS PER WEEK: 30 hrs per week, 6-8 weeks temporary position
Internal applicants submit a job bidding form and 2 copies of both your resume and letter of interest; external applicants submit your resume and letter of interest via email to: email@example.com or to Personnel Dept, Room 309, City Hall, 795 Massachusetts Avenue, Cambridge MA 02139. Fax 617-349-4312. Review of resumes will begin 5/31/13.
City of Cambridge residents especially are encouraged to apply.