Duties and Responsibilities:
The Assistant Director is part of the Senior Management team at the Office for Sustainability.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
- Work with Director and Senior Team on strategic planning efforts and management of the Harvard Office for Sustainability team and Harvard’s over-all sustainability goals and vision.
- Serve as the chief operating officer for the OFS, overseeing the implementation of staff and team development programs, on-boarding of new staff, best practice sharing, planning staff meetings, handling HR and other management related needs.
- Manage the Occupant Engagement fee-for service Team and Sustainability Engagement Manager (4 direct FTE)
- Effectively manage the staff members to ensure productivity and meeting or exceeding client expectations;
- Work with staff members to identify and develop new innovative program ideas, continue to improve and evolve the programs;
- Actively support professional development of the team;
- Build strong relationships and partnerships with the Harvard Schools/Units and identify and follow-up on new opportunities;
- Track and report on clear metrics of success for programs;
- Increase best practice sharing and efficiencies among the programs;
- Oversee annual budget planning for the programs.
- Support the Sustainability Engagement Manager in the implementation of existing and development of new sustainability engagement programs, best practices, model policies, resources and tools (i.e. Green Office Program, Green Carpet Awards, Student Grants).
- Manage the development of metrics for the annual Sustainability Impact Report and other reporting needs, and manage the development of performance metrics for outreach and engagement programs.
- Oversee the communications aspects of occupant engagement activities and events, partner with communications team to develop a communications strategy and editorial calendar for the occupant engagement team focused on creating digital content for green.harvard.edu and social channels, as well as contributing to university-wide communications initiatives.
- Work with Director on strategic projects including Greenhouse Gas Reduction Goal and Sustainability Strategic Plan Implementation, major strategic events and programs, sustainability communications efforts, etc.
- Lead efforts to research and track the results/benefits of behavior change and engagement programs at Harvard.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
- BA/BS required; Masters Degree in Environmental Sciences or Social Sciences or professional degree (Urban Planning, Business, etc), preferred;
- 5-6 years of experience in working in and running environmental programs or communications/social marketing campaigns or initiatives;
- Proven experience planning and developing programs/initiatives and executing on the plans, delivering on results;
- Demonstrated experience managing staff;
- Demonstrated strong relationship building and client management skills;
- Demonstrated knowledge of environmental sustainability issues: green building, green living and working, energy conservation, demand management, recycling, composting, etc.;
- Excellent leadership skills (up, lateral, and down);
- Demonstrated good judgment and ability to make informed decisions;
- Excellent communication, writing, presentation, and outreach skills;
- Experience working with and presenting to senior level administrators and managing up;
- Experience working with a diverse set of stakeholders;
- Must be positive, creative, enthusiastic, and entrepreneurial with a high level of energy and initiative and a proven track record to deliver results;
- High degree of flexibility, adaptability and general ability to respond to emerging opportunities and barriers in a constantly changing environment;
- Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Powerpoint, and Publisher and ability to learn software as needed.
- 4+ years program planning and management experience; experience developing business plans and proposals preferred
- Experience in social marketing and implementing environmental education and awareness programs is preferred
- Experience with organizational change management preferred
- Knowledge of universities preferred
Technology Skills Required:
Proficiency in MS Word, Excel and Powerpoint is required. An ability to learn Harvard systems and web software quickly is a requirement.