Green Light New Orleans‘ mission is to invest energy in people and assist New Orleans residents face to face, one household at a time. Our volunteers install free energy efficient light bulbs to demonstrate that a mass movement of individual actions creates a significant impact on our environment and community. Green Light New Orleans connects residents to relevant, local opportunities and encourages individual actions so that everyone can benefit from a vibrant, resilient, and sustainable community.
Green Light New Orleans, a community-based, environmental non-profit, is looking for 6 interns to start as early as May-June 2013. The position is a paid internship. Positions expectations are detailed below.
Interns will be working to implement the primary goal of the organization — reduce energy consumption and environmental pollution by facilitating the installation of free energy efficient lighting for residents throughout Orleans Parish. Interns will be paired to create two-person outreach teams. Each intern will be required to commit to 10 full days per month. Internship duration will be determined via a monthly performance evaluation and maximum internship duration is 6 months. This position has the potential to become a part-time staff position at Green Light New Orleans dependent on the outcomes of each individual’s work and the capacity requirements of the organization at the end of the internship.
Persons applying for this position must value the following:
- Must be committed to the mission of Green Light New Orleans
- Must be committed to community service and environmental sustainability
- Must be hardworking and committed to achieving significant organizational and personal goals
- Must be a good verbal communicator and able to engage in proactive conversation
- Must be able to learn and implement from constructive feedback
- Must be able to reflect upon and assess task quality
- Must collaborate well in pairs and partnerships
- Must pay close attention to detail
Intern responsibilities for this position include but are not limited to the following:
- Take action by Installing free energy efficient lighting for residents to meet monthly energy reduction goals.
- Drive to meet residents at their homes.
- Communicate and engage with residents to increase energy efficiency outcomes.
- Conduct outreach to increase community impact. (May include: canvassing, attending neighborhood meetings, recruiting volunteers, etc.)
- Respect all community members without discrimination.
- Execute duties with effective practices and thoughtful awareness.
- Document all work and keep detailed records of tasks completed.
- Be proactive in task execution from start to finish.
Monthly compensation per intern will be a $400 stipend. The position and stipend require that each intern commit at least 10 full days per month in collaboration with a partnering intern or volunteer. Each intern MUST HAVE A CAR and will be reimbursed for fuel used to accomplish intern duties.
Green Light New Orleans is an equal opportunity organization and has a strict policy of non-discrimination. Anyone able to meet the requirements of the position is welcome to apply.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please respond by sending a cover letter and resume to Bernie January, Program Manager, by email firstname.lastname@example.org
Green Light New Orleans will be interviewing potential candidates on a first-come basis. Positions may start as soon as May-June 2013.