Organizational Background: Founded in 1981, Isles, Inc. is a self-help, urban green development organization in Trenton, New Jersey. With a mission to foster self-reliant families in healthy, sustainable communities, Isles develops cost effective, powerful ways to strengthen people and places in challenging urban settings.
- Revitalizes communities by developing green affordable homes, parks & community agriculture.
- Trains and educates youth and adults through a vocational high school and green job training center.
- Builds wealth by supporting social enterprises, microbusinesses, and other financial and credit building services.
- Stimulates green, healthy living by cleaning up environmental hazards, fostering energy efficiency and promoting healthy lifestyle
In addition, Isles promotes public policies that support family self-reliance and community health. Isles believes that even the most distressed places (or “isles”) hold untapped assets and human capacity. Self-sufficiency and healthy environments are keys to sustainable communities.
The Volunteer will be a team member of Isles’ Community Planning & Development department. The primary duties of the Volunteer will be to assist department staff with support of community and school gardens, planning for events and public outreach, conducting environmental education activities, and assisting with the development of new projects.
Tasks may include, but are not limited to:
- Assist in the planning, installation, and maintenance of school and/or community gardens;
- Assist with the planning and execution of special events, including documentary film screenings and cooking workshops;
- Assist with environmental education for summer youth programs in city gardens and parks;
- Assist with outreach efforts in culturally diverse neighborhoods to promote community gardening and other Isles programs; and
- Assist with research.
- Ability to work outdoors in all types of weather
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Comfortable working in an urban environment
- Capable of doing manual gardening labor, e.g. moving compost and stone-filled wheel barrows, handling lumber, digging, raking, carrying equipment, etc.
- Valid drivers license with a good driving record
- Fluency in Spanish is a plus
Flexible schedule: 3 to 4 days (18 to 24 hours) per week; 6 to 8 week commitment is preferred.
Send cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org