The AmeriCorps member will have the opportunity to create the framework for and implement a Green Classroom Certification program for Whatcom Country. The classroom certification process will have the goal of engaging teachers and students in energy, waste and water conservation measures in their classrooms and beyond. The program will be piloted with elementary schools in Bellingham School District, with the exception that the framework will be designed to be replicable for other school districts after the pilot year. Depending on the success, it may be adapted for middle and high schools as well.
- Develop the specific requirements for a Green Classroom Certification process that includes 4-5 required tasks
- Work with Bellingham School District personnel to recruit at least 100 teacher and/or staff volunteers
- Design a teacher workshop to be held in January 2014 – The workshop will train 1-2 Lead teachers and/or staff members from each participating school on the details of the program, avaliable support materials and other information to bring back to their schools for other teachers and/or staff
- Prepare and provide classroom presentations on energy efficiency and climate change for grades K-6 in each participating classroom
- Design and distribute chosen forms of acknowledgement for program participants, based on Community-based Social Marking techniques
- Create an eNewsletter to send to Green Classroom participants
To find other more about this position, click here.