Groundwork Somerville is hiring a part-time (approximately 20 hours a week) Lead Gardens Educator for our Healthy Education programs in Somerville, MA, to start mid-August in preparation for the 2013-2014 school year. This is an hourly position with the potential to transition to a full-time, salaried Gardens Coordinator position, pending funding. We’re seeking applicants with 2-4 years of program coordination experience, experience teaching students in elementary and middle school, and strong vegetable gardening or farming experience. The primary roles of the Lead Gardens Educator are to manage and run Groundwork Somerville’s garden- and nature-based after school programming in the nine schoolyard gardens located across Somerville, to update existing club lesson plans and develop new ones, and to recruit, train, and coordinate volunteer club assistants to help lead those clubs.
- Garden-based After-School Clubs (50%)
- School Garden Development and Care (30%)
- Program Sustainability, Evaluation, and Assessment (10%)
- Administrative and Management (5%)
- Meeting Attendance (5%)
- Must be able to work at school sites in Somerville on weekdays between 2:15-5:45 from October through mid-December, and a few weekday morning hours based on staff schedule timing and planning time (can be flexible). Applicants should preferably be available to start work in mid-August to early September for orientation, training, planning, outreach, and recruiting volunteers.
- 2-4 years experience in teaching, running after-school programs, and delivering curricula; must have experience working with and managing behaviors of elementary students (K-5) in large groups
- 1-2 years of experience growing organic veggies and herbs, maintaining gardens, and/or farming
- Must be able to pass a CORI background check; first aid/CPR training a plus, but not required
- Experience recruiting, training, supervising, scheduling, and coordinating volunteers and interns
- Must have demonstrated outstanding skills in organization, oral and written communication, leadership, and balancing multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
- Must have basic computer skills (Microsoft Office); social media and graphic design skills a plus
- Be a self-starter and work well independently, yet able to work collaboratively with colleagues
- Familiarity with Somerville and comfort riding a bicycle in urban environment (in all weather) a plus
- Subject expertise in environmental/ecological studies, urban agriculture, teaching, and/or related fields
- Must be experienced working in multi-cultural, inclusive settings; fluency in Spanish, Portuguese, and/or Haitian Creole is a strong plus
- Must share a passion for Groundwork’s values and vision, and for environmental/social justice issues; must be excited about teaching kids, getting your hands dirty, and working outside!
- Send a cover letter and resume addressed to Marga Hutcheson, at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 5, 2013. This position will start on or around August 15, 2013. PDF files are preferred. Please do not send hard-copy applications.
To learn more details about this exciting position, please click here.