The Metropolitan Area Planning Council’s Data Services Department seeks an intern to help develop a clearer picture of the region’s land use patterns and anticipate how they will change over the coming decades. MAPC is partnered with the Central Transportation Planning Staff (CTPS) to develop an integrated land use allocation / transportation demand model for Metro Boston, which will dynamically forecast the interaction between housing growth, economic development, and travel demand. The intern will help to collect and organize data required for model inputs and will participate in decision making about model parameters and assumptions. The intern will also develop and analyze data for the next round of the regional indicators project, which will include new reports and websites describing trends in transportation, economic development, and regional growth patterns. This is an opportunity to work as part of an innovative and highly collaborative team focused on using data and technology to support informed decision-making.
Typical Qualifications: The following are required qualifications for the position:
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student in urban planning, geography, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience with ESRI software, including ArcGIS and ArcCatalog
- Strong data management skills, with a personal commitment to the quality of resulting data products
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to coordinate multiple, complex data collection activities in the field and the office
- Strong oral and written communication skills
To learn more about this exciting internship, visit MAPC website and click on “Jobs at MAPC” at the top.