DEADLINE: February 3, 2014
USGBC Massachusetts is currently hiring for the following position:
Outreach & Communications Manager
The USGBC Massachusetts Chapter promotes and advocates for green buildings throughout the state. We support the professional development of green building professionals and the credential maintenance of LEED Accredited Professionals and Green Associates in Massachusetts. As a chapter of the larger national US Green Building Council, we advocate for state and local laws and regulations that promote green buildings, sustainable development and healthy materials choices. We are expanding our capacity to make a difference in the green building industry in the state. We have a staffed Green Schools Program which is a wonderful new avenue for us to connect with a broader constituency, outside of the building industry. We want to connect to more schools stakeholders and grow our capacity to green the schools of Massachusetts. We are hiring an Outreach & Communications Manager to support this vital work.
The Outreach & Communications Manager (OCM) is a part-time position responsible for managing all recurring organizational communications and stakeholder engagement. The position will cultivate community and build our member & funder base through consistent communication and promotion of our activities.
The USGBC MA takes a collaborative and whole-systems approach to leadership and planning among our stakeholders, and we are looking for someone who has the experience and desire to work in a shared responsibility environment, and who is flexible and committed to the overall advancement of the organization.
The OCM position is a critical role responsible for raising the organizational profile and generate greater interest in our programming on behalf of the green building industry in Massachusetts. We are looking for a dedicated, experienced, and enthusiastic relationship-builder and communications specialist with the commitment, skills, and desire required to continue growing and sustaining the resources USGBC MA needs to fulfill its mission. The position will be supervised by the Executive Director and work closely with the Green Schools Program Manager.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
The Outreach & Communications Manager will have two primary areas of responsibility:
- Cultivate and nurture relationships with current and potential donors as well as outreach to the professional community (collaborate with ED)
- Staff public events to ensure the Chapter message gets to stakeholders
- Serve as direct contact for members, event registrations and website questions
- Monitor trends in the community and adapt strategies as necessary
Communications and Documentation
- Design, develop and drive strategy and content for all online & offline communications for the purposes of documenting and promoting our work, and growing our base of followers and supporters
- Manage the website & scrolling news items
- Coordinate the documentation of all programming onto our blog etc.
- Manage social media pages/streams
- Build relationships with community stake holders and/or partners to advance the mission and fundraising goals of the organization
- Enhance membership orientation and recruitment and correct technical issues with member profiles or use of the website and its resources
In addition, the OCM will play a co-equal role in staff-wide requirements:
- Contribute to fundraising efforts by participating in strategic fundraising planning, meetings, events and activities;
- Co-Plan Organizational Development, working with the team to help USGBC MA continue to grow and evolve to meet the needs of our network and our mission, including regular staff meetings, and organizational planning and evaluation retreats;
- Demonstrate leadership and solidarity in network development, engaging and growing the diverse spectrum of stakeholders and communities that USGBC MA seeks to serve and empower.
In order to fulfill the stated responsibilities of the role, the ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Passionate commitment to the principles of sustainability, regeneration, green building, and community development;
- Demonstrated skills and experience in the areas listed above under “Primary Duties & Responsibilities”;
- Enthusiasm for fundraising, writing, organizational development, and sustaining and improving the overall health of the organization;
- Strong online communications skills, including email, social media, web publishing and analytics; HTML, WordPress or other website editing skills a strong plus;
- Detail-oriented, thorough; nothing slips by;
- Prolific and efficient writing skills; ability to write in a variety of styles for multiple audiences;
- Fluency with graphic design programs and the creation of compelling graphics for marketing purposes;
- Extensive knowledge of and experience using CRM software and spreadsheets;
- Successful experience coordinating volunteers and other unpaid stakeholders;
- Experience working successfully on a multi-location team;
- Strong work ethic, highly self-motivated;
- Flexibility in the job role, understanding the need to dynamically respond to evolving and USGBC MA needs that are often driven by external events and opportunities;
- Willing and able to travel occasionally.
- Experienced with green building practices and community sustainability;
- Experience in association management and engagement;
- Comfort and experience in public speaking roles;
- Multimedia skills a plus, including audio, video, and image editing capabilities;
- Sense of humor!
$20,000 starting annual salary (for 20h/wk);
Generous vacation & flexible work time policy.
To apply, please send a cover letter to Grey Lee, Executive Director, describing your qualifications, and your resume, at firstname.lastname@example.org by February 3, 2014. We will pursue references of qualified candidates. We look forward to hearing from you!