DEADLINE: Jan. 31, 2014
Mohonk Preserve, New York State’s largest member & visitor supported nature preserve, is seeking to fill the full time position of Citizen Science Coordinator.
The Mohonk Preserve is a dynamic organization with responsibility for managing and protecting more than 8,000 acres of the northern Shawangunk Mountains in Ulster County, NY. The Preserve has four integrated programs — Conservation Science, Education, Land Stewardship, and Land Protection, and is a regional model for large-scale conservation planning. We have an annual budget of $3.6 million, 35 year-round staff and over 350 volunteers. We also have a diverse support base of over 14,000 individual members and supporters. Our Daniel Smiley Research Center, located near Mohonk Lake (where Conservation Science operations are centered), provides a great work environment!
We have a strong science program regionally and nationally. Natural and cultural history research generated at the Preserve underpins the Preserve’s land management strategies, informs our public interpretive programs and school environmental education field studies, facilitates protection of wildlife and natural resources across the Shawangunk Mountain region, and deepens the public’s understanding of our legacy of landscape conservation. Our science is used to guide applied land management to conserve biodiversity in the Shawangunk Ridge ecosystem.
Position responsibilities include:
· Lead, coordinate, and participate in continuing long-term observational studies;
· serve as biodiversity database manager;
· design, develop, and coordinate a Citizen Naturalist Program;
· demonstrated knowledge of the northern Shawangunk Ridge ecosystem
• a Bachelor’s degree (Master’s degree preferred) in natural sciences or environmental studies;
• experience working with volunteers, scientists and non-scientist professionals, Board members, donors, media, and the public;
• superior computer skills including Microsoft Office at a minimum;
• database experience including: Access and/or similar databases (proficiency in Access management preferred)
• has exemplary written, oral, and presentation skills;
• There is a significant fieldwork component to this position. Must be able to hike a minimum of 6 miles a day over rough terrain.
• Willingness to work frequent weekends and holidays with occasional irregular hours, including some evenings.
Salary: Low $30’s per year based on experience; generous benefits package.
Please submit cover letter, resume and 3 references by January 31st, 2014 to:
Director of Conservation Science, Mohonk Preserve, P.O. Box 715, New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications accepted via e-mail (hard copy preferred) to email@example.com (Word 97 & above or Adobe PDF only).
No phone calls please. Mohonk Preserve, Inc. is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer