The Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts (SBN) is seeking a Managing Director to direct SBN’s daily operations and lead strategic development and growth of the organization and its core programs. The ideal candidate will be a passionate and motivated sustainability professional with experience in the following core areas:
- organization and program management
- event planning
- non-profit or business administration
Successful candidates will be resourceful self-starters and team players that thrive in dynamic and fast-paced work environments and enjoy taking on new challenges.
As Managing Director you will be responsible for directing the day-to-day operations and strategic development of SBN and its core programs and events including (but not limited to) the following specific responsibilities:
- New member identification, recruitment, and engagement
- Retention of existing members
- Development and management of member networking and learning events including monthly B2B Networking Group Meetings, SBN onTours, technical assistance workshops, and new events
- Grants: Identification of grant opportunities, grant writing, and management of awarded grants (meeting deliverables, invoicing, reporting, etc.)
- Sponsorships: New sponsor development and existing sponsor management (SBN/SBLP & Special Events)
- Foundations: Research appropriate foundations and develop strategic relationships for foundation support
- Lead planning of SBN’s annual Sustainability Leadership Summit & Annual Holiday Party
- Provide overall management and direction for the development, planning, and execution of SBN’s recurring and one-time small-scale events including monthly B2B Networking Group Meetings, SBN On Tours, ALLocal Dinners, Technical Assistance Workshops, documentary film screenings and more.
- Provide guidance and direction for SBN’s large-scale local food events including the annual Boston Local Food Festival, Hyper Local Craft Brewfest, Local Craft Brewfest and Buy Local Trade Show planned in collaboration with partner organization The Williams Agency.
- Recruit, contract and manage SBN staff and interns
- Ensure professional development of staff and interns
- Provide day-to-day guidance & support
- Support the Sustainable Business/Community Leader Program staff with new client development and engagement (particularly highprofile clients)
- Invoicing and bill processing
- Budgeting and budget management
- Program and event accounting
- Basic financial accounting: check/cash processing etc.
- Manage office lease and tenant sub-leases
- Act as primary liaison to landlord and sub-tenants
- Manage office services including internet, phone, and cleaning
- Ensure office runs smoothly
- Must have strong writing skills. Will be responsible for editing and assisting staff in writing newsletter articles, blog posts, website updates and other outreach communications.
- Prepare and deliver presentations at events and conferences
- Work with the Executive Director to prepare board reports, attend board meetings and make presentations as needed
- Represent SBN at internal and external conferences and events
- Support special programs including the SBN Affinity Program, Worcester SBLP, and others as needed
- Develop strategic & collaborative partnerships with businesses and organizations to grow the organization and achieve our mission
- College degree required, graduate degree preferred
- Professional experience in environmental sustainability, local business, or related field
- Prior management experience (project/programs and staff) required
- Fundraising experience & knowledge
- Experience and ability to sell and market a product/service/idea
- Budgeting/financial management experience and the ability to work with spreadsheets
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Confident presenting to members, clients, prospects–small and large groups
- Strong organizational skills, strategic thinker, innovator, self starter
- Entrepreneurial and able to work with minimal on-site supervision
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with multiple priorities, deadlines and frequent interruptions
- High level of professionalism and strong attention to detail required
- Ability to work a flexible schedule including occasional nights and weekends
- Strong work ethic and a passion for SBN’s mission
- Community connections and a substantial professional network in the Boston area is preferred
Contact Taryn Johnson at email@example.com with cover letter, resumé and references to apply.