The Metropolitan Area Planning Council’s Data Services Department seeks a summer intern to assist with the collection and analysis of MAPC’s “Most Wanted Datasets.” This initiative seeks to develop a more complete picture of the region’s existing conditions and likely future by compiling previously unavailable information and making it available to a wide variety of end users. Current activities are focused on data related to zoning districts, wastewater service areas, real estate development projects, and affordable housing developments. Once compiled, these datasets will be used for regional and local planning and will be made available to the public through MAPC’s online data viewer and web mapper, www.metrobostondatacommon.org. This is an opportunity to work as part of an innovative and highly collaborative team focused on using data and technology to support informed decision-making. Only candidates currently enrolled in an academic program will be considered for this position.
The following are required qualifications for the position:
- Advanced undergraduate or graduate student in urban planning, geography, or a related field
- Demonstrated experience with ESRI software, including ArcGIS and ArcCatalog
- Strong data management skills, with a personal commitment to the quality of resulting data products
- Strong organizational and time management skills, including the ability to coordinate multiple, complex data collection activities in the field and the office
- Strong oral and written communication skills
Compensation and Benefits:
Compensation will be $15-$18 per hour, commensurate with experience. Full time position (37.5 hours per week). Internship period of at least 12 weeks between May and August 2012. No benefits.
HOW TO APPLY
Visit this website to see more detailed information about the position and application instructions.
Position open until filled. Review of applications will begin on April 23, 2012.