Newton, Massachusetts is developing a sustainability program in order to improve environmental, social and economic outcomes throughout the city. The Sustainability Department, which is in the Mayor’s Office, is offering several internships – this summer and throughout the year – to qualified graduate students who are enrolled in sustainability or environmental programs. This is an opportunity to help design and implement sustainability strategies that will have measurable results, and to get “hands- on” experience with the interplay of policy and politics at the local level.
Duties will include:
- Identification, research, and analysis of environmental, social and economic data in order to establish key performance indicators and baselines
- Developing data bases, information sets and other methods of storing, sorting, retrieving and analyzing relevant information
- Creating reports, presentations, graphics and other means of conveying information to, and working with, city officials, residents, businesses, advocates and other important constituencies
- Planning and logistics for, and participation in, workshops and meetings
- Developing social media and other methods for communicating and engaging with stakeholders
The City seeks highly motivated candidates who have distinguished themselves by their educational achievements and experience through outstanding academic performance and leadership in a variety of extracurricular and/or community service activities. Candidates must possess a good work ethic, be able to think creatively, solve problems as they arise, work collaboratively, take initiative, attend to details, and take responsibility for task completion. Good written and oral communication skills are essential.
The internships are unpaid, however the Director will sign off on course credit or other requests of that nature.
|Application Deadline: n/a|
How to apply: Email a cover letter, resume, and contact information to Andrew Savitz, Director of Sustainability, at asavitz[at]newtonma.gov. Please also include: any experience you have had related to the list of duties, as described above; the skills experience you are interested in developing during the internship with the City of Newton; the dates and times that you are available.