The Department of Sustainability and Saint John’s University invite applications for a full-time, 1 year benefit eligible position of Sustainability Fellow. This position will begin approximately June 1, 2015 through May 30, 2016. This position exists to provide a job-based learning opportunity for a recent college graduate interested in a career in campus or corporate sustainability. Individuals graduating in May 2015 will be considered.
This position is responsible to educate and engage the campus community about sustainability issues and initiatives. Additionally, the fellow works to move the University towards its sustainability goals and to monitor our progress.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following: 1. Organize events to increase campus involvement in our sustainability efforts
2. Maintain institution’s compliance with sustainability-focused organizations and climate agreements including ACUPCC, AASHE, and STARS.
3. Update and maintain the greenhouse gas inventory and STARS audit.
4. Manage a team of interns and a number of volunteers on projects such as dorm room energy audits.
5. Write, edit, and publish a newsletter about sustainability projects and events on campus.
6. Serve as a resource for campus offices and individuals.
7. Develop and sustain relationships with staff, faculty, students, monastics, visitors and beyond the campus to provide opportunities for education, volunteering and research on campus sustainability.
1. Bachelor’s degree required.
2. Strong oral and written communication skills.
3. Self-motivated with the ability to work independently.
4. Passion for sustainability and environmental issues.
5. Computer skills and knowledge of Excel, Word, and Outlook are required.
6. Experience in web design, video production, and graphic design with Microsoft Publisher and Photoshop would be helpful.
7. Previous experience with campus organizing, event planning, energy efficiency, or sustainability initiatives is desirable.
8. Significant knowledge of SJU energy systems is desirable.
9. All academic majors are invited to apply.