Swarthmore College is hiring a Director of Environmental Services (custodial services), ideally one with a strong interest in sustainability. Please pass the advertisement below on to interested colleagues/friends.
Director, Environmental Services
Swarthmore College is a highly selective liberal arts college located in the suburbs of Philadelphia, whose mission combines academic rigor with social responsibility. Swarthmore has a strong institutional commitment to excellence through diversity in its educational program and employment practices. As one of the nation’s finest institutions of higher learning, Swarthmore College offers more than 600 courses a year and more than 50 areas of study. Swarthmore’s 425‐acre campus is a designated arboretum, complete with gardens, rolling lawns, a creek, wooded hills, and hiking trails in the Crum Woods adjacent to the campus.
The Department of Environmental Services is currently accepting applications for the position of Director. The Director will provide management in the supervision of Environmental Services Supervisors, crew leaders, and Environmental Technicians to ensure the timely and proper custodial care of all College buildings. Tasks include: developing and maintaining departmental policies and procedures, coordinating activities with other College departments, and managing all personnel issues; developing and maintaining schedules for cleaning and maintenance of equipment; recommending and requisitioning equipment, materials, and supplies.
Qualified candidates must possess high school diploma or equivalent and a minimum of ten years progressive supervisory and management experience, preferably in building maintenance or housekeeping services. Candidate must have demonstrated the ability to work well with people and diverse teams; familiarity with computer software including word processing, spread sheets, data management and electronic timecard systems; excellent written and verbal communication skills; and the physical ability to perform housekeeping work, including operating power equipment, hand equipment, and move material. Candidate must have a valid driver’s license. Preference will be given to candidates with a college level degree and/or higher education experience.
To view the full position description and apply for this position, please visit our employment website at www.swarthmore.edu, under Human Resources and Employment Opportunities. All applicant packets must include an updated resume and cover letter.
Swarthmore actively seeks and welcomes applications from candidates with exceptional qualifications, particularly those with demonstrable commitments to a more inclusive society and world. Swarthmore College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.
Tufts Environmental Alumni (TEA) invites alumni and students to attend an Environmental Career Panel and Networking Night. Students: Gain perspective on the environmental sector and network with professionals in the field. Alumni: Connect with fellow Jumbos working in the environmental field and meet the next generation of environmental professionals! This evening event is sponsored by Tufts Environmental Alumni, the Tufts University Alumni Association, and Tufts Career Services.
Monday, February 25th, 6:00 – 8:30 PM
Dowling Hall Room 745, Tufts Medford Campus
The 4th annual Massachusetts Green Career Conference connects experts and peers from government, business, education, non-profits, and individuals. With exhibitors, speakers, coaches, and networking, it’s a unique opportunity to reach important constituents all in one place. Everyone wanting to learn more about green careers will find this conference timely, practical, and valuable.
- Learn about research, case studies, best practices, programs, products, and services.
- Engage in cross-sector dialogues with experts and peers.
- Go home with knowledge and resources about green careers, research, and current trends in Massachusetts.
- Education and Training (higher education & K-12) staff, administrators, faculty, workforce developers, career service professionals, graduates, students
- Business professionals
- Government staff and environmental policy makers
- Non-profit and community members
- Green career candidates, college graduates, students
- Everyone interested in green careers
- Businesses with sustainable products, services, jobs and internships that are accepting resumes
- Universities, colleges, and institutes with certificate and degree programs
- Government agencies
- Green career recruiters and resources
- Leading experts from government, education, business, and non-profits
- Introductory Sessions about Green Careers: Career opportunities & career paths
- Government & Green Careers: Environmental policies and career development
- Education: The practical side of educating for the future
- Business: Building businesses with greener talent and the necessary skills
- Meet diverse leaders and peers interested in best practices and implementation strategies.
- Attend an affordable, accessible, professional event dedicated to green careers.
- Enjoy a unique opportunity to share research, work, services, products, programs, and ideas from many sectors
- Participate in a conference that attracts hundreds of people from across the Commonwealth.
The Massachusetts Green Career Conference is hosted by Green Workforce Training with the support of an advisory and on-site team of professionals from government, business, education, and non-profits.
See previous conference info at www.MassGreenCareers.com and www.MaSustainableCommunities.com.
The registration fee of $45-$75 covers exhibitors, speakers, introductory sessions, coaching, breakfast, lunch, and raffle. FREE wifi and parking. Registration will be at http://greencareer.eventbrite.com.
*CALL TO PARTICIPATE
Exhibitors and Sponsors may request a registration form by phone or email.
Speakers may email a title, 40-word summary and a 250-word description by July 16.
Conference advisory, coaching, and on-site team member inquiries are welcome.
Jen Boudrie, Conference Director, JenBoudrie@gmail.com 508-481-0569