Overview: Bikes Not Bombs uses the bicycle as a vehicle for social change. We reclaim thousands of bicycles each year. We create local and global programs that provide skill development, jobs, and sustainable transportation. Our programs mobilize youth and adults to be leaders in community transformation. Each year we collect roughly 6,000 used bicycles and tons of used parts from our supporters around Greater Boston and New England. We ship most of these bikes overseas to economic development projects through our International Programs in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean. Bikes that don’t get shipped often land in our Youth Programs where teens learn bicycle safety and mechanics skills in the process of earning bikes to keep for themselves. Our retail Bike Shop also reconditions and sells some of the donated bikes that we receive, employing many graduates of our programs. The Shop’s profit from the bicycle sales, parts sales, and repairs goes towards funding our youth and international work. BNB is 28 years-old and has an annual budget of $1.4 million.
Position: Bikes Not Bombs seeks to hire a dynamic, creative, and highly organized professional to manage the organization’s fundraising efforts, major donor strategies, oversee events, and serve as an enthusiastic ambassador of BNB’s mission. Strong relationship cultivation and management of donors and volunteers is key to success in this role. The position requires both an ability to think strategically about the “big picture” and execute plans with strong attention to detail. The Director of Fundraising & Events will work on a team including the Communications Manager, Information and Technology Manager and Development Associate and will report to the Executive Director.
Gift Management/Donor Cultivation and Stewardship
- Ensure that all gifts and pledges are properly tracked
- Generate gift acknowledgements, receipts, and reports for donations on a timely basis
- Maintain up-to-date and accurate donor records and files; ensure confidentiality of donor information
- Maintain and grow portfolio of donors in the $100-$1,000 range, including those who give through multi-year pledges.
- Develop personal relationships with donors on behalf of BNB through face-to-face meetings, telephone communications, mail correspondences, etc.
Direct Mail Solicitation
- Generate 2-3 direct mail solicitations per year: work directly with Communications Manager to generate content ideas, write solicitation letter and accompanying newsletter, oversee graphic design, interface with printers, determine database search criteria, oversee distribution
- Track and analyze results
Annual Phone Solicitation
- Recruit, train and supervise volunteer callers
- Identify donors to be called and segment appropriately
- Organize and oversee all logistics (phone banking locations, accurate tracking, gift acknowledgements, volunteer supervision, etc.)
- Track and analyze results
Major Donor Strategies
- Work in partnership with the Executive Director to maintain and grow portfolio of donors who give more than $1,000 annually, including those who give through multi-year pledges.
- Organize regular events (open houses, tours, house parties) to introduce new donors to BNB
- Plan event and manage follow-up for BNB’s annual fundraising breakfast.
- Ensure that all gifts and pledges are tracked properly.
- Coordinate and oversee all fundraising aspects of the Annual Bike-A-Thon, BNB’s biggest fundraising event of the year
- Identify opportunities and provide support for additional fundraising events, including house parties, special celebrations, film screenings, and small-scale fundraising campaigns (approximately 10 events/campaigns each year).
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and design marketing and outreach materials, including thank you cards, signage, banners, business cards, invitations, membership materials, and flyers; interface with printers
- Manage design, content and production of Annual Report
- Supervise and provide mentorship to Communications Manager, Information and Technology Manager and Development Associate.
- Develop and monitor annual fundraising budget
- Work with Executive Director to develop an annual fundraising plan for BNB
- Work with Information and Technology manager to improve functionality and effectiveness of BNB’s donor database.
- Delegate and oversee data entry as appropriate
- Hire and supervise interns and volunteers, especially during particularly busy seasons
- Coordinate and facilitate Development/Communications team meetings and planning
- Track and analyze results of individual fundraising efforts
New Initiatives and Supporting Activities
- Manage BNB’s Wheels in Motion team (major donors) and track and analyze multi-year pledges.
- Partner with staff, Board of Directors, consultants, and volunteers to advance the mission and fiscal stability of Bikes Not Bombs
- Other duties as needed
- Commitment to all aspects of BNB mission
- Experience managing fundraising programs at non-profit organizations of similar size and budget.
- Experience developing and nurturing positive relationships with donors and supporters (both individuals and organizations)
- Demonstrated ability to effectively supervise staff and volunteers
- Experience organizing successful events that involve multiple constituencies
- Demonstrated graphic design skills
- Ability to work with staff, board, and volunteers with sense of humor and flexibility
- Ability to work individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced work environment
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills, both written and verbal, and a high comfort level meeting/speaking with individuals face-to-face or at social functions and events
- Demonstrated experience in effective project management
- Ability to write compelling materials that effectively communicated BNB’s mission, programs, and activities
- Ability to set priorities, manage schedules, meet deadlines, and track the progress of multiple projects simultaneously while maintaining a high-quality of work and strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated leadership, problem solving, organizational and presentation skills required
- Commitment to excellence a must
Bikes Not Bombs is a social justice organization that is committed to diversity in both its programmatic work and staffing with regard to race, ethnicity, gender, nationality, age, physical ability, religion, and sexual orientation.
See this job listing on our website at https://bikesnotbombs.org/hiring-new-fundraising-director
Please send cover letter and email@example.com