The Office of Energy and Environment in Medford has an opening for a summer intern position to assist the Medford Bicycle Advisory Commission develop a Bicycle Infrastructure Master Plan. The Commission has been in existence for two years, and recently held a public workshop to provide direction for the Master Plan. The intern would be expected to take the lead in converting the raw material from the workshop into a draft master plan, including:
- Review prior work done in the City related to bicycle infrastructure, including the raw material from the workshop
- Develop an outline of a master plan document, working with Commission members
- Perform field work to verify existing conditions, including photographs and measurements
- Develop draft recommendations based on meetings with Commission members, supplemented by independent research with respect to standards and common practices elsewhere.
- Prepare a draft master plan document, including text and graphics, and respond to comments by the Commissioners.
Other potential tasks, if time allowed, would include developing a marketing and communications plan to bring about behavior change in regard to: cyclist behavior and compliance with rules of the road, pedestrian safety, and driver awareness of cyclists and pedestrians.
Responsibilities also include administrative office tasks in the City of Medford Office of Energy & Environment. Summer interns expected to work a minimum of 20 hours a week, during City Hall’s open business hours (Mon, Tues, Thurs 8:30-4:30, Wed 8:30-7:30, Fri 8:30-12:30).
Possibility to continue on other projects in the Fall semester and could start part-time immediately. Position is unpaid during the summer with the potential to stay on as work-study during the school year. A good candidate is a self-starter who can work independently, use common sense and take initiative, and who has good writing skills.
|Application Deadline: N/A|
Interested students should send a cover letter and resume to Alicia Hunt, Director of Energy and Environment, City of Medford at ahunt[at]medford.org.