We here at the Office of Sustainability have trouble containing our excitement about all things environmental. So we decided that the best way to celebrate Earth Day was with not one but TWO weeks of activities! If you missed the first week, you can still get in on the fun with a variety of happenings (see below!).
Last week our Eco-Reps
held a session on natural spas, and on Sunday we joined student groups on campus for EarthFest 2013! It was a beautiful day – the Eco-Reps held another successful clothing swap (look at all those clothes!), we tested students’ recycling IQs, students from a Climate Justice course presented their final project, and MORE!
We have also extended our Earth Week Scavenger Hunt
for another week! Snap some cool pictures of specific items and people around campus, post them to our Twitter
pages, and you could win a cool reusable shopping bag that folds into its own pouch and is small enough to carry in a purse or pocket.
It is important to remember, however, that Earth Day (Earth Week, Earth Month) is just a greater surge in what should be a year-round effort. Make a change today, small or large. Take advantage of the many resources available on our website and blog, submit events and comments to help us improve, and always feel free to actually stop by to talk! Many thanks also to Tufts Institute of the Environment (TIE), the Environmental Studies department, and Tufts Sustainability Collective for all that they do!
Also happening this week:
If you live in a dorm at Tufts, don’t forget to take our short survey about the Tufts Eco-Rep program
. By completing the survey, you will be entered into a raffle for $50!
Earth Week Events
Please join the Office of Sustainability
for a free viewing of YERT: Your Environmental Road Trip!
“Called to action by a planet in peril, three friends hit the road – traveling with hope, humor, and all of their garbage – to explore every state in America (the good, the bad…and the weird) in search of the extraordinary innovators and citizens who are tackling humanity’s greatest environmental crises.” Expect to laugh, learn – and enjoy some FREE Flatbread
PIZZA while you’re at it!
In addition to the screening of YERT, here is a selection of Earth Week events happening on the Tufts campus or in the area!
- Tuesday, April 23: Infrastructure for the New Economy, Somerville, 12:30PM
- Thursday, April 25: Sustainability UnConference, Cambridge, 5PM
- Friday, April 26: Celebrate the Tufts Rain Garden, Medford Campus, 1PM
- Friday, April 26: Wind Technology Testing Center Tour, Charlestown, 1:30PM
- Saturday, April 27: Mystic River Spring Cleanup, Medford, 9:30AM
And as always… Stay Green!
FOR A LIMITED TIME ONLY! EXTENDED THROUGH SUNDAY, APRIL 28th!!!
Take part in our Earth Week scavenger hunt and YOU could win cool prizes!
Rules: Take pictures of the following items and post them on the Office of Sustainability Facebook and Twitter pages. The top photo-getters will receive fun prizes! For a list to take around with you, use our printable Earth Week Scavenger Hunt!
Send us a picture of…
- your reusable water bottle
- the front of Tufts Institute of the Environment or the Office of Sustainability
- you with President Monaco doing something sustainable together
- “Choose to Reuse” sticker
- a bike
- a meatless meal
- bike generator (in the lobby of TIE/OOS)
- Terracycle (try Tower Café or the Lobby of OOS)
- an Eco-Rep
- a CFL or LED lightbulb
- you on the T or MBTA Bus
- one of the 4 Zip Cars on campus
- wildlife (bonus points if it’s not a tree, flower, or squirrel)
- you turning off the lights or your power strip
- Tina Woolston, Director of the Office of Sustainability
- a Professor teaching an environmental class
- an Eco-Tour sign
- TSC Meeting or Branch Meeting
We will be handing out Choose to Reuse stickers to ALL participants, whether or not you win, at our table at Earth Fest. We look forward to seeing you there!