Tufts University Photography

Cool Kids
January 31, 2011, 5:06 pm
Filed under: General

Earlier today, we heard rumors about various igloos that seem to have popped up around campus over the weekend. Not content to just rely on the twitpics floating around the Internets, I took a little walk up the hill to check things out for myself. That’s when I ran into engineering student Chris Barry and his buddies as they were chilling — literally — in the igloo he started building last Thursday night. With more snow in the forecast, they were doing what they could so shore things up inside for the extra weight on the way.

Chris, being a chemical engineer, started to talk to me about the physics behind fluid dynamics and the science at work behind the snow in the igloo… but yeah, that was pretty much lost on me after the first five seconds. All I know is that it stands up, it’s pretty big and it’s surprisingly warm inside!

5 Comments so far

Glad to see “big” kids having fun in the snow and to use science behind the construction of it is inspiring! Way to go child units.

Michelle 01.31.11 @ 7:25 pm

Current record is 14 people inside the igloo. Props to Chris on this architectural masterpiece.

Dan 02.01.11 @ 12:33 pm

Pretty cool. I am so proud to be a graduate of Tufts BUT , where are the hats, boots , coats , scarves and gloves . Do these kids not know it’s cold outside?

cath 02.01.11 @ 2:19 pm

Excellent! Thanks for sharing. The photos made this grad smile on a cold, gray NYC day.

Donna Venito 02.01.11 @ 3:29 pm

It was actually pretty warm in there. Seriously!

I would probably say it was at least 10-15 degrees warmer in the igloo than outside, bringing the inside temp to a balmy 30-35 degrees…

Kelvin Ma 02.01.11 @ 3:52 pm