by Jordan Dashow
This Fall has brought exciting changes and updates to our recycling program on the Medford/Somerville campus. Returning students may have noticed the new Fitness Center, new pavements, and new landscaping in front of Gifford House. However, what you may not have noticed—at least right away—are all the exciting ways in which our campus has gotten greener since last Spring. Here’s an overview of some of the exciting new recycling developments on campus and a sneak peek of what’s to come:
1. South Hall – Once you walk around South Hall, it’s hard not to notice all the recycling opportunities. Over the summer, all the recycling stations were updated and improved; with our “gecko green” colored walls they’re impossible to overlook! In addition, we are all extremely excited about the new Freecycle Stations throughout South Hall. While recycling is great, reusing is even better! Leave old reusable items that you no longer need in the Freecycle station so others can use them, saving resources and money.
2. All Dorms – Jealous of south hall and wish your dorm had similar recycling and freecycle stations!? Facilities is hoping to replicate both of these features as they continue renovating dorms in the coming years. While we can’t guarantee that the stations will look exactly the same in every dorm, you can definitely keep a lookout for the gecko green walls and our new Recycling Jumbo logo in the years to come!
3. Steve Tisch Sports & Fitness Center – We are excited to announce that there will be a new recycling option at the Steve Tisch Sports and Fitness Center! The custom made bin below includes the usual trash, paper/cardboard recycling and metal/glass/plastic recycling bins and will soon be updated to include a new recycling option, not yet offered anywhere else on campus. Any guesses?
4. Freecycle Giveaway – We are so happy that our Freecycle Giveaway on September 1 was a HUGE success. We gave away 3 truckloads of dorm essentials, saving environmental resources and money. Thank you very much to everyone who participated!
5. Recyclemania – It’s that time of year again! Preliminary grading for Recyclemania begins next month. Recyclemania is a 8-week long competition that will crown one of 547 participating colleges and universities the biggest reducer of waste. Here at Tufts, you’re not only competing against other schools, you’re also competing against other dorms. Our initial grading will give you an idea of where your dorm stands. It’s up to you and your fellow hall-mates to improve your recycling and improve your score throughout the year. So do you part, recycle!