Composting on the Medford/Somerville campus
Offices, small houses, and other Tufts community members may independently compost at any of our campus drop off locations:
- At the rear of Miller Hall, next to the Tufts Institute of the Environment (TIE) office you will find a small green toter for compost.
- Carmichael Dining loading dock: Enter door and take an immediate right into the compost room.
- Nestled up against the Central Plant between Braker and East Hall you will find two compost “cones”. Please leave one bin empty so that one can fill up and we will have remaining capacity in the other. These cones are on-site composting.
- At the rear of Tisch Library on the loading dock is a barrel for compost.
- Against the right hand side of the Crafts House at 14 Professors Row are yellow barrels for compost.
- Dewick-MacPhie loading dock. Enter door on left up the ramp and take an immediate left into the compost room.
- In the rear parking lot of the Science and Technology Center is a Compost Tumbler. Please use the door that says “open” and give the tumbler a few cranks after you load in. This is a self composting container.
Click Composting Locations for more detailed directions to campus drop-off locations.
Campus dormitories with assigned Eco-Reps have compost bins that are typically located in the kitchen. If you are unsure where the compost bin in your dorm is located, please contact your Eco-Rep!
Thanks to the Eco-Reps for emptying the bins weekly! They put in a lot of effort to care for the bins and run the program.