Please joint us at Moving Planet: New England at Christopher Columbus Park in Boston on the afternoon of September 24th! On that day, hundreds of thousands all over the world will stand for moving beyond fossil fuels and demand a solution to the climate crisis.
In Boston, people from across New England will gather to celebrate the multiple ways the region is working to move beyond fossil fuels and will share their vision for a better future. We will show that together, our passion, commitment and varied solutions amount to a powerful movement that puts the interests of the people before those of corporations to insure a just, healthy, and sustainable tomorrow. We will demand that elected leaders do the same.
Schedule of the day:
- Before the event: Move from Somerville to Boston. Many people are organizing to travel to the city in groups by bike, foot, boat, commuter rail, and bus! Here is how people in Somerville are getting there:
2pm in Union Sq. Somerville
2:15- Leave for North Station meet-up spot. We will make stops along the Freedom Trail as we ride for the Freedom From Fossil Fuels!
3pm Rolling Parades meet-up at North Station and walk to Moving Planet rally!
Bring a helmet, food and water and repair kits (or Plan B) in case of mechanical issues. This ride is NOT ideal for youth or inexperienced riders. Your ride home may be in the dark so be prepared!
1pm- TBA Somerville, MA
3pm -Rolling Parades meet-up (station TBA) and walk to Moving Planet rally!
An easy going 2 hour walk through historic Somerville, Charlestown and Boston with a rest and snack stop at Bunker Hill Monument. Return home by T
T RIDERS MEET:
2:15pm Davis Sq Red Line T stop, Seven Hills Park
2:30pm leave Davis Sq for Park St.
3pm Rolling Parades meet-up at Park Street Station and walk to Moving Planet rally!
- 3-3:45pm: Rolling parades to the Columbus Park rally, departing from North Station, South Station, Park Street Station, and Long Wharf North(near the ferry ticket area). Check in with parade marshals who will direct groups of 25 or more to the rally.
- 3:50-6pm: Rally for Solutions at Columbus Waterfront Park (Aquarium T). New England will join the rest of the world in a peaceful, festive rally calling on leaders at all levels to take action to speed the transition away from fossil fuels.
How to help Make Moving Planet: New England one that the press and politicians will notice!
Spread the word!
- Ask your friends, neighbors, family members, co-workers and people in your networks to join you!
- Send out an email telling people why you will be joining hundreds of thousands the world over for Moving Planet.
- Forward this email and ask people to sign-up at http://moving-newengland.org.
- Print out some fliers and post them around town!
- Like us on Facebook and tweet about the event @MovingNE
- Add the following message to your email signature line:
Join me and thousands of others around the world, as we rally to demand solutions to the climate crisis. Moving Planet New England, September 24, 2011 -www.moving-newengland.org
Sign up to volunteer at the event as a parade marshal, to orient people, to help set-up or break-down. Email MovingNewEngland@gmail.com if you can help.
Let your local press know that a group from your community is traveling to Boston to join this worldwide event! A sample media advisory can be found at http://moving-newengland.org/resources/.
Get together with friends and make some banners, signs, puppets and props to bring with you and make our event visually engaging! For ideas and instructions, please consult the “Artivist Guide” at http://moving-newengland.org/resources/
Bring stuff to make music and noise! If you have and play an instrument that you can carrry along for the parades, bring it!
Let us know you’re coming. Sign-up at:
Let’s come together on 9/24 to stand together and proclaim that, together, we have the power to to build a secure, healthy, just and sustainable future for our children and our planet!