SPSS is an industry-standard statistical processing package that is used at Tufts University. The package offers extensive statistical graphics and data mining capabilities. Alternatives to SPSS include SAS, STATA, and R.
Tufts has entered into a site licensing agreement with SPSS that covers the three most widely used modules of the SPSS software family.
- Base – This component contains tools that support data aggregation, analysis, graphics and reporting needs.
- Advanced – This component contains modules that perform various multivariate techniques.
- Regression – This module supports ANOVAs and several generalized regression methods.
Current Version of SPSS
IBM SPSS Statistics 21 is available for Windows, Macintosh and Linux machines.
Restrictions of Volume License
- Annual Codes must be used on all computers
- License can only be installed on a Tufts owned/leased computer
- Computer must be located on the Tufts Campus (owned or leased space)
- Each version installed counts as one license.
- Personal laptops of students, visiting scientists and visiting scholars are not eligible.
- Home use for faculty and staff only; Student workers are not eligible.
- Installations must be completed by IT professional Support Staff.
*Exceptions to the restrictions
Friedman School of Nutrition students who take Statistical Methods for Nutrition Research (Science) (NUTR 207), Instructor: Jerry Dallal, Statistical Methods for Nutrition Research (Policy) (NUTR 209), Instructor: Robert Houser, and Nutrition Data Analysis (311), Instructor: Robert Houser are allowed to use Friedman School SPSS licenses.
Request for Software for how students should request a license and have the software installed.
Expiration of Annual Code
The SPSS Annual license code expires on August 1 and has a 1 month grace period.
- Students who are not in the above referenced nutrition students will have to purchase SPSS “Graduate Pack” through E-Academy. Standard SPSS does not have the required modules. E-Academy offers a 6 month rental of the Graduate Pack for $49.99 or $89.99 for a 12 month rental.
Clinical Faculty may purchase a one year license for the SPSS Faculty Pack via E-Academy http://www.e-academy.com for approximately $250.00.
Obtaining a License
- The Nutrition School will need to complete the Request for Software form to request the use of a license. See OIT Forms for more information about how Nutrition School faculty, staff, and students obtain a license.