What is Tufts Simplified Sign-on?

Tufts students, faculty and staff memorize a number of passwords to access Tufts’ various IT systems.  In order to both simplify your experience and increase data security, University Information Technology (UIT) has implemented a solution that eliminates one of the passwords currently used in our IT environment.  This project is called “Tufts Simplified Sign-On.”

Who does this affect?  All faculty, staff and students on all campuses

Will my Tufts University Username change? No, your Tufts University Username (UTLN), which is the same for both the old and new email systems and most other systems at Tufts, will not change.

Which passwords are changing?  Tufts Simplified Sign-on only eliminates your former Tufts University email password, also known as your Trumpeter or LDAP password which along with your Tufts Username (UTLN) accessed the old email system (Trumpeter), TUSK, University Library Services, Spark Tools, Tufts Elists and many other systems.   Click here for a partial list of services that use the Trumpeter password.

What password will I use in place of the old Tufts University email password? When Simplified Sign-on is activated for you all systems  mentioned above will switch to the password that you use to access the new Microsoft Exchange email and calendaring system, logging into MS Windows computers, the Tufts University VPN, and network or shared storage (e.g., P:, Q:, and R: drives).   Going forward, this password will be called your “Tufts Password” because it will cover so many systems.

When will I start using my “Tufts Password” to access systems I previously accessed using my Trumpeter password?

You will receive an email about a week before you are scheduled to start using your “Tufts password” to access Tufts University systems you previously accessed with your “Trumpeter password. “

• Medical, Nutrition and Sackler paid Faculty and Staff are transitioning to Simplified Sign-On on May 10th, 2011.
  • PHPD Students are transitioning to Simplified Sign-On on May 12th, 2011.

The majority of Medical and Sackler students have already transitioned to Simplified Sign-On, but those who have not will receive an email soon with a scheduled date.

I already have a Tufts (Active Directory) Password, what do I need to do? You will simply start using it to access TUSK, University Library Services, Spark Tools, Tufts E-lists and other “Trumpeter” systems on the dates mentioned above.  You don’t need to do anything else!

What about other systems that don’t use either of these passwords? At this point, only systems that currently rely on Active Directory (AD) and Trumpeter passwords are affected.  Access to other systems that use unique usernames and passwords such as  legacy SIS, PeopleSoft, and Blackboard will not change.  In the future we hope to add many of these applications to the list of systems that use the “Tufts Password.”

I’m not sure if I have a Tufts Password. What do I need to do? There are some members of the Tufts community who do not yet have any password and some who have one but have never needed to use it.  If you fall into either of these categories, you will receive an email with specific instructions about what you need to do.  Once you receive your instructions and start using the Tufts Password, you will no longer need to remember your old Trumpeter email password.

What if I forget my password? As part of this project, we are creating accounts with “Tufts Passwords” for all community members and tools to assist individuals who do not recall their password.  If you’re not sure of your password, you can visit https://tuftstools.tufts.edu to reset your password, or you can contact your local support group for assistance

If you have questions or concerns, please contact our Simplified Sign-On Support Team at Information-Exchange@tufts.edu or 617-627-6245.

,