Service Tags and Serial Numbers
The serial number/service tag is a unique pattern of numbers and letters assigned to every device.
A service tag is unique to a Dell device. To find the service tag for your device, follow Dell’s directions here:
To find the serial number for your Apple device, select your device from the following page and follow the directions to find your serial number:
If you have any difficulties finding your serial number or service tag, please contact OIT at 617-636-0331 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Computer Name is a name assigned by OIT (or by you, if the computer is a personal computer) to identify that computer. To find your computer name, use the appropriate directions below for your operating system:
Computers with Windows XP
1. Right-Click on the “My Computer” Icon; then select properties
2. Select the “Computer Name” tab and use the “Full computer name” field.
Computers with Windows 7
1. Click on the Start button > Right-click Computer > select Properties.
2. Under Computer name, domain, and workgroup settings, you can find your computer name.
Computers with Mac OS X
1. To see your current computer’s name, choose Apple > System Preferences
2. Click Sharing to view the computer name.