Upgrade from McAfee Endpoint Encryption Version 5 to McAfee Drive Encryption 7.1
OIT is in the process of upgrading encrypted computers at the Medical and Nutrition Schools from McAfee Endpoint Encryption (MEE) software to McAfee Drive Encryption (MDE). The upgrade will add new features and address some known issues affecting the current version of the software. Some of these changes include:
- Support for Windows 8 and 8.1
- Improved Single-Sign On between Windows and the Encryption software
- New recovery options
- Performance improvements
- Improved hardware support
Computers will be updated automatically via a package pushed by OIT. Once the software is installed, users will be prompted to restart the computer. Immediately after the restart, continue your normal login process. It may take several hours before the computer switches completely to the new encryption, but the process is not disruptive to your work and happens in the background. You may not see any changes until the next reboot of your computer.
Once upgraded to MDE 7.1, you will notice a few visual changes to the login screen when starting the computer. Before the upgrade, the login screen looked like this:
Once your laptop has been upgraded, the login screen will look like this:
You’ll notice that your Tufts username is no longer pre-populated in the “User Name” field, the login screen cannot be closed, and recovery options are now under the “Options” tab.
View printable instructions here: Printable Log In Directions
Process to log in:
- Enter your Tufts username (UTLN) in the “User Name” field and click “Next”
- Enter your Tufts password in the “Password” field and click “Logon”
- If you have never used the new encryption software, you will be prompted to setup your new password. Please make sure to enter your Tufts password, as this will enable Single Sign-On (SSO) to your computer, meaning in the future you will only need to enter your username and password once to log into the computer.
- If you have used the new encryption on another computer already, login as normal – no extra steps are needed, and you can skip steps 3 and 4.
- Setup two security questions for self recovery from the list (if you haven’t completed this step previously on another computer)
- Click “Finish” at the next screen (the screen may have a QR code for smartphone recovery)
To set or reset your self-recovery questions:
- Enter your Tufts user name in the “User name” field
- Make sure that the Reset Self-recovery check box is checked
- Click “Next”
- Enter your password in the “Password” field and click “logon”
- Provide an answer to two self recovery questions (answers are case sensitive)
- Click “Finish” to enable your self recovery questions
If you’ve forgotten your MDE password please choose from the following recovery options:
Self Recovery (using your personal self recovery questions)
1. From the login screen click the Options button
2. Click the Recovery button
3. Choose Question and Answer Recovery
4. Enter your Tufts user name in the User Name field and click OK
5. Enter the answer to each of the 2 self recovery questions
6. Click Finish after answering questions
7. Enter a new password based on the criteria listed
8. Confirm the password you created by entering it a second time
9. Log in using your user name and newly created password
Please call the IT Support Help Desk and notify the technician on the phone that you need to do a McAfee encryption password recovery.
1. From the login screen click the options button
2. Click the Recovery button
3. Choose the Administrator/Smartphone Recovery option
4. Enter your username in the User Name field and click OK
5. Read out the recovery code presented to the IT support rep you’re speaking with. Please note that the code is presented phonetically for your convnience.
6. Once you’ve communicated the recovery code click Next
7. The person you are speaking with will the provide you with a code to enter. Be careful to enter the code exactly as communicated.
8. Once the recovery code is entered click Next and then click Finish
9. Enter a new password based on the criteria presented
10. Enter the new password a second time to confirm it
11. At the login screen enter your user name and click Next
12. Enter your password and then click Logon
Support for McAfee Drive Encryption
If you have any questions, issues or you need to perform an encryption recovery, please call the OIT Help Desk at 617 636 0331 from 9am-5pm, Monday through Friday. Outside of normal business hours, contact the Tufts IT Support at 617 627 3376 for off-hours support