Forms: Usability Checklist
Here’s a nice resource from A List Apart on Usability of Forms: http://www.alistapart.com/articles/sensibleforms
Sections in the article cover:
- Use the right field for the task
- Give them room to type
- Shorten your forms and question “mandatory” fields
- Mark mandatory fields clearly
- Provide descriptive labels for all of your fields
- Let the computer, not the user, handle information formatting
- Use informative error messages
- Don’t return users to an altered form
Also: care should be taken to design forms for a logical path when tabbing from field to field. I thought this practice was gone, until I requested an account on the Trek to Talloire site yesterday. The fields took me from “Home Address” to “Email Address” to “Town/City” to “Confirm Email Address”.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.