The entire examination will emphasize information taken from the current veterinary literature. Selected information will also be taken from the current human literature. With respect to the veterinary literature, current veterinary textbooks and papers published in refereed journals should be the primary study area.
Candidates are advised to prepare for the examination by a systematic review of recent textbooks and periodicals. Your mentors can help you select appropriate study material. WE CANNOT DEFINE CONCLUSIVELY THE BODY OF KNOWLEDGE NECESSARY TO PASS THIS EXAMINATION — the following list is ONLY A GUIDELINE.
Textbooks (most recent editions)
- Large Animal Internal Medicine (Smith) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 745 L322 2009 (4th ed.) and Vet Reserve Stacks SF 745 L322 2015 (5th ed.)
- Equine Internal Medicine (Reed, Bailey & Sellon) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 951 E638 2010 (3rd ed.)
- Veterinary Medicine (Radostits, Gay, Hinchcliff & Constable) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 745 B655v 2007 (10th ed.)
- Current Therapy in Equine Medicine VI (Robinson) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 951 C976 2009
- Sheep and Goat Medicine (Pugh) — 2nd ed. (2012) available online
- Diseases of Dairy Cattle (Rebhun) — 2nd ed. (2007) available online
- The Pharmacological Basis of Therapeutics (Goodman and Gilman) — 12th ed. (2011) available online
- Veterinary Clinical Epidemiology (Smith) — Vet Book Stacks SF 780.9 S657v 2006 (3rd ed.)
- Current Therapy in Food Animal Practice V (Anderson and Rings) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 745 C9761 2009
- Veterinary Neuroanatomy and Clinical Neurology (DeLahunta) — 3rd ed. (2008) available online
- A Current Textbook in Physiology (Guyton or Ganong)
- Large Animal Neurology (Mayhew) — Vet Book Stacks SF 895 M469L 2009 (2nd ed.)
- Veterinary Immunology (Tizard) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 757.2 T625i 2013 (9th ed.)
- Medicine and Surgery of South American Camelids (Fowler) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 997.5 L35 F787m 2010 (3rd ed.)
- Equine Geriatric Medicine and Surgery (Bertone) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 951 E685 2006
Journals (last 5 years up to September 2013)
- Journal of Veterinary Internal Medicine, online 1997-
- Equine Veterinary Journal, online 1996-
- Equine Veterinary Education, online 1996-
- Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, online 2000-
- American Journal of Veterinary Research, online 2000-
- Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, online 1997-
- Compendium of Continuing Education for the Practicing Veterinarian, * online at VetLearn.com, Vet Journal Stacks, 1979-2009 (print only)
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Equine Practice, online 2002-
- Veterinary Clinics of North America: Food Animal Practice, online 2002-
- ACVIM Consensus statements (ALL), available online
NOTE: The large animal medicine certifying examination is written in concordance with USA (USDA/APHIS) regulations regarding the extra label use of drugs and legal use of antimicrobials. Candidates need to know drugs illegal for use and legal regulations surrounding common antimicrobials used in food producing animals in the US. The following websites may prove useful in reviewing pertinent US regulations regarding drug use in food animals.
- FDA Veterinarian Newsletter, available online
- FDA Veterinarian Newsletter: Extra-label Drug Use in Veterinary Medicine (2003)(http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/NewsEvents/FDAVeterinarianNewsletter/ucm100268.htm)
- Code of Federal Regulations: Title 21 – Food and Drugs (http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/get-cfr.cgi?TITLE=21&PART=530&SECTION=41&TYPE=TEXT)
Free VLS e-Journals for Residents
*Residents can receive a complimentary digital subscription to VetLearn.com. The subscription provides access to the online monthly digital publication Compendium: Continuing Education for Veterinarians® and Compendium Equine® the recurring series within Compendium. Additionally, this subscription provides access to archived articles from past and current issues. Visit www.vetlearn.com and click on “Register” in the upper right corner to access the registration form.
This list is based on the 2014 reading list. This page was last updated May 2014.