This reading list is provided as guidance for candidates. The sources are common journals and textbooks that represent the appropriate level of pathology knowledge. Candidates should feel free to utilize other equivalent sources and they should seek mentor guidance if they are unclear about source equivalency. For journals, candidates should focus on articles published within the last five years but note that only articles in print or electronically released by January 1st of the examination year are considered for that year’s examination. For textbooks, candidates should be utilizing a recent version that is representative of current pathology knowledge.
- Maxie MG. Jubb, Kennedy, and Palmer’s Pathology of Domestic Animals, 6th ed. Elsevier (2015) — volume 1, volume 2, volume 3
- Zachary, McGavin. Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease, 6th ed., Elsevier (2017) — available online
- Latimer KS. Duncan and Prasse’ Veterinary laboratory medicine: clinical pathology, 5th ed., Wiley-Blackwell (2011) — Vet Reserve Stacks SF 769 D911v 2011
- Veterinary Pathology, online 1964-
- Journal of Comparative Pathology, online 1995-
- Journal of Veterinary Diagnostic Investigation, online 1989-
- Clinical pathology atlas (examples include Raskin RE, Meyer DJ. Canine and feline cytology or Valenciano AC, Cowell RL. Diagnostic cytology and hematology of the dog and cat).
- Terio K, McAloose D, St. Leger J. Pathology of wildlife and zoo animals (2018) — available online, Vet Book Stacks SF 769 P38 2018
- Percy DH, Barthold SW. Pathology of laboratory rodents and rabbits, 4th ed. (2016) — available online, Vet Book Stacks SF 996.5 P431p 2016
- Noga EJ. Fish Disease: Diagnosis and Treatment, 2nd ed., Wiley-Blackwell (2010) — Vet Reserve Stacks SH 171 N774f 2010
- Abee C, Mansfield K, Tardif S, Morris T. Nonhuman primates in biomedical research: diseases, 2nd ed., Elsevier (2012), available online, chapters: 1, 2, 4, 6, 9, 11, 12, 13, 15
- Fox JG, Marini RP. Biology and diseases of the ferret, 3rd ed., Williams & Wilkins (2014) — Vet Book Stacks SF 997.5 F47 B615 2014
- Avian disease manual, 7th ed (2013). American Association of Avian Pathologists. — Vet Book Stacks SF 994 W594a 2013
- Toxicologic Pathology, online 1972- (review articles)
This list is based on the 2019 reading list. This page was last updated November 2019.