This reading list is provided as guidance for candidates. The sources are common journals and textbooks that represent the appropriate level of pathology knowledge. Candidates should feel free to utilize other equivalent sources and they should seek mentor guidance if they are unclear about source equivalency. For journals, candidates should focus on articles published within the last five years but note that only articles in print or electronically released by September 1st of the examination year are considered for that year’s examination (e.g. September 1, 2019 for the 2020 Phase 1 examination). For textbooks, candidates should be utilizing a recent version that is representative of current pathology knowledge.
- Kumar V. et al. Robbins and Cotran Pathologic Basis of Disease, 9th ed., Elsevier (2015) — available online — chapters 1 to 9 [note: In order to use/print pdfs of book chapters, patrons must login with personal username & password]
- Zachary, McGavin. Pathologic Basis of Veterinary Disease, 6th ed., Elsevier (2017) — available online
- Cheville NC. Ultrastructural pathology: the comparative cellular basis of disease, 2nd ed., Wiley (2009) — not available at Tufts
- Haschek WM, Rousseaux CG, Wallig MA. Fundamentals of toxicologic pathology, 2nd ed., Elsevier (2009) — available online
- Veterinary Pathology, online 1964- (review articles)
- Toxicologic Pathology, online 1972- (review articles)
- New England Journal of Medicine, online 1990- (review articles)
This list is based on the 2019 reading list. This page was last updated November 2019.