Home Program at Tufts:
The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy
- BA, Middlebury College, Environmental Studies (Conservation Biology) and Anthropology majors.
- MA in Law and Diplomacy, The Fletcher School, Tufts University, International Environment and Resource Policy, Development Economics and Human Security fields of study
Relevant Work Experience:
- Visiting Research Fellow, Swiss Federal Institute of Aquatic Science and Technology (Eawag), Zurich, Switzerland
- Research Fellow, Center for International Environment and Resource Policy, The Fletcher School
- Teaching Assistant, The Fletcher School
- Research Fellow, Fundación Cuero y Salado (FUCSA), Honduras
- Consultant, Grameen Health
- Research Assistant, Center for Outcomes Research and Evaluation, Maine Medical Center
- Naturalist and Camp Director, Marine Environmental Research Institute
- Intern, Penobscot East Resource Center
Primary Research Interests:
- Climate Change Adaptation
- Sustainable Development
- Innovation and Technology Transfer
- Water Policy
- Fieldwork in Ethiopia, Colombia and Peru studying technology transfer for climate change adaptation
- Fieldwork in Honduras studying flooding, climate change and disaster management
- Interviews and focus groups in East Boston about sea level rise and adaptation
- Fieldwork in Ecuador studying coastal resource management
- Interviews with fishermen in Maine about fisheries management and livelihoods
- Water quality testing in Casco Bay, Maine
- Development of a marine science summer camp curriculum
Awards and fellowships:
- Summer Research Fellowship, Fletcher PhD Program, 2012
- NSF IGERT Water Diplomacy Fellowship, 2011-13
- WSSS/TIE Research Fellowship, 2010
- Sustainable Development Diplomacy and International Program on the Management of Sustainability Fellowship, The Netherlands, 2010
- Frank C. & Christel Nichols Scholar, The Fletcher School, 2009-2011
- International Thesis Award, Rohatyn Center for International Affairs, Middlebury College, 2007
- Gallagher KS, Grubler A, Kuhl L, Nemet G, Wilson C. 2012. The Energy Technology Innovation System. Annual Review of Environment and Resources. 37: 137-62.
- Karl HA, Scarlett L, Kirshen P, Dell R, Ibrahim H, Kuhl L, Mosher T, Navarro B, Rising M and Towery N. “Adapting to Changing Climate: Exploring the Role of the Neighborhood” in Restoring Land- Coordinating Science, Politics and Action: Complexities of Climate and Governance. Eds. Karl HA, Scarlett L, Vargas-Moreno JC and Flaxman M. Springer, The Netherlands, 2012
- Politi MC, Pieterse AH, Truant T, Borkhoff C, Jha V, Kuhl L, Nicolai J, Goss C. Interprofessional education about patient decision support in specialty care. Journal of Interprofessional Care 2011; 25(6): 1469-9567.
- Kuhl L and Tirrell A. 2011. Reflections on The Hague Conference on Agriculture, Food Security and Climate Change. IDEAS Journal (International Development, Environment and Sustainability) Issue 7, February 2011.
- Kuhl L and Sheridan M. Stigmatized property, clams and community in coastal Ecuador. Journal of Ecological Anthropology 2009; 5(1): 17-38.
- Kuhl L, Ettinger B, Rosen CJ, Col NF. Questioning the accuracy of a recent review of osteoporosis medications. Annals of Internal Medicine 2009; 150: 423-424.