Meet The Bloggers!

Kate Cottrell, Classics M.A.T. 2019

Kate, a native of Maine, is in the Master of Classics with Teaching Licensure program. By day she studies gender, sport and religion in antiquity and dabbles in reception studies of mythology in modern fantasy and comic books. At Tufts she spends most of her time between Tisch Library and Eaton Hall and has likely been identified as a heavy user by the Interlibrary Loan Department. By night she procrastinates on her translations by baking and photographing it for Instagram, celebrating or lamenting the fate of the Red Sox and Bruins, and wondering just how many Parks and Rec references are appropriate in a scholarly paper.

Ruaidhri Crofton, History & Museum Studies M.A. 2020

Originally from Victoria, Canada, Ruaidhri has been fortunate to live in many places throughout his life, but now proudly calls ‘The Bay State’ home. Ruaidhri graduated with a B.A. in History and American Studies from Brandeis University in 2018, and is continuing his studies at Tufts as a first-year M.A. student in History and Museum Studies. Though his main areas of focus are early North America and the Southwestern United States, he is always eager to learn more about history from around the world.

Outside of academics, Ruaidhri loves to spend his time planning adventures on the T to explore the many museums, historic sites, and national parks in the Boston area, hiking in the beautiful New England wilderness, volunteering in the local community, and baking (and of course eating) a variety of tasty treats.

Brenna Gormally, Biology Ph.D. Candidate

I am a Ph.D. student in the Biology department, the 2018-2019 President of the Tufts Graduate Student Council, and a Graduate Writing Consultant for the Academic Resource Center. I am researching stress for my dissertation, specifically how wild animals use physiological and behavioral mechanisms to cope with unpredictable and uncontrollable stimuli. I am particularly interested in how these necessary and beneficial responses can become strained, leading to symptoms of chronic stress. I work primarily with birds, including house sparrows, and occasionally European starlings. I am also a writing tutor for undergraduate and graduate students with the Academic Resource Center. Outside of Tufts I enjoy playing in sports leagues, attempting to cook, finding new breweries, training for triathlons, and reading.

Ece Gulsan, Chemical Engineering Ph.D. Candidate

Ece, an avid traveler and scuba diver, has been to 28 countries, more than 100 cities, and is still counting. She is a part-time yoga instructor and a full-time Chemical Engineering Ph.D. student at Tufts. Her research interests are based on metabolic engineering, and she is working to identify how particular diets and lifestyles impact metabolic and hormonal activities. Outside of the lab, she wanders the streets with her camera, goes for long hikes, tries out new restaurants, and practices a lot of yoga! Currently, Ece is learning Italian and keeping a wine diary, while experimenting in the kitchen and remaining faithful to her healthy lifestyle as much as possible.

Gina Mantica, Biology Ph.D. Candidate

https://ginamantica.wordpress.com/
@the_dancing_biologist

Gina, a born-and-raised Bostonian, is a Ph.D. student in the Biology Department at Tufts University where she studies the neurobiology of social communication in songbirds. At Tufts, she is Co-President of the Biology Union of Graduate Students (B.U.G.S) and a Writing Consultant with the Academic Resource Center. Gina is passionate about science communication, and strives to inspire young women to enter STEM fields through her Instagram blog, The Dancing Scientist. In her free time, Gina enjoys trying new flavors of ice cream and dancing with her Boston-based dance company, Jazz Inc. Dance.

Manisha Raghavan, Bioengineering M.S. 2019

Hi, I am Manisha, and I am a second year M.S. Bioengineering student in the BME department at Tufts. I am from Mumbai, India, and am a huge Bollywood fan! I am currently working on enhancing and improving a silk-based 3D small intestinal model. I love the translational aspect of biomedical engineering and hope to improve the lives of patients in the near future. Outside of my lab, I work as a Time Management and Study Strategies Consultant for the Academic Resource Center at Tufts. I also love experimenting with recipes, trying out new cuisines, and blogging about my plant-based diet. Favorite things of mine include cows (my favorite animal!), The Office & Parks and Rec, and science. If you ever want to chat about the lab, failed recipes, cows, dogs, Leslie Knope, or Prison Mike, come and find me at the Science and Technology Center!

Penelope Seagrave, Human Factors M.S. 2018

Hi! I’m currently pursuing my MS in Human Factors part-time at Tufts while working full time in machine vision at Cognex. I started out as a graduate student in the Human-Computer Interaction Certificate program and absolutely fell in love with the field of Human Factors.

I did my undergraduate at Purdue where I earned my B.S in Industrial Engineering and minors in Economics and Psychology. I have a cross-eyed Siamese cat named Odysseus, who I adore. I love going on adventures, exploring new places and ideas, and learning about whatever I can. I am so excited to be studying at Tufts – this has been a dream of mine for years.

Lennon Wolcott, M.F.A 2017

Lennon Michelle Wolcott (Hernandez), is a Michigander and an interdisciplinary artist responding to the topics of decolonization and the rebuilding of culture after loss through sculpture, printmaking, papermaking, and performance. Lennon received her Studio Art Post-Baccalaureate Certificate from the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, and her M.F.A. from the SMFA at Tufts in 2017 where she is currently an Assistant Director of Graduate Admissions.

Alia Wulff, Cognitive Psychology Ph.D.

I am a second-year Ph.D. student in cognitive psychology here at Tufts. I graduated from Western Washington University with a B.S. in psychology in 2015, worked in the Applied Cognition Laboratory there for two years, and then made the 2,500-mile journey to the East Coast to continue my education. My research currently revolves around eyewitness memory and attention, specifically involving the misinformation effect. Broadly speaking, my goal is to impact how the legal system views eyewitness testimony and hopefully decrease the rates of false imprisonment based on faulty testimony. I’m inspired by the Innocence Project and the idea that science can directly impact people’s lives. I also hope to help improve the lives of women in STEM fields, specifically those in graduate school or early in their careers, through outreach and community involvement while I am in graduate school and beyond.