On behalf of the Tufts faculty, staff, and administration, the Academic Awards Committee is delighted to honor the students who have been selected as this year’s award winners from among the hundreds of outstanding nominees. We are grateful to the faculty and staff who took time to write such detailed letters of nomination for so many talented and inspiring students. The prizes recognize intellectual curiosity, acumen in scientific research, artistic courage, athletic prowess, excellence in leadership, and phenomenal dedication to public service and community engagement.
Most of the prizes were established in honor of beloved Tufts students, professors, alumni, and others with a deep connection to the Tufts community. In honoring their contributions both within and beyond the university, the awards ensure the transmission of their legacy to new generations of students.
To celebrate our awardees, a number of Tufts leaders have recorded videos expressing their congratulations:
- Tony Monaco, President of Tufts University
- Barbara Wallace Grossman, Co-Chair of the Awards Committee
- Jim Glaser, Dean of Arts & Sciences
- Jianmin Qu, Dean of Engineering
- Jennifer Stephan, Dean of Academic Advising and Undergraduate Studies for Engineering
- Carmen Lowe, Dean of Academic Advising and Undergraduate Studies for Arts & Sciences
2020 Academic Awards Committee
- Barbara Wallace Grossman, Theatre, Dance and Performance Studies (Co-Chair)
- Timothy Atherton, Physics and Astronomy (Co-Chair)
- Andrea Acevedo, Community Health
- Sasha Fleary, Child Study & Human Development
- Jeffrey Foster, Computer Science
- Sara Johnson, Child Study & Human Development
- Frank Lehman, Music
- Melissa McInerney, Economics
- Paul Muentener, Psychology
- Riccardo Strobino, Classics
- Diren Pamuk Turner, Chemistry
- Brian Timko, Biomedical Engineering
- Nathan Wolff, English
The Awards committee wishes to thank Joanne Ferguson for her immeasurable help in supporting the committee’s work; Jennifer Burton for preparing the videos; Alonso Nichols and Momo Shinzawa of Tufts Photography and Matthew Healey for additional images.