Recipients of these prizes have demonstrated exceptional leadership combined with excellence in academic achievement.
The Xi Delta Prize is awarded to a junior with the greatest promise of future achievement.
- The Xi Delta Prize Winner: Julian H. BalkcomIn addition to his major in Child Study and Human Development, Julian Balkcom (A21) has excelled in a remarkable range of courses (from humanities to biological processes) to support his goal of understanding the psychological impacts of children’s health challenges. His extensive extracurricular involvement – such as being a Big Buddy in the MGH Food Allergy Buddies … Read more
The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship recognizes outstanding academic achievement and personal qualities of leadership and high principle.
- The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship Winner: Finn L. McGarghanEveryone who knows Finn McGarghan (A20) agrees on his wonderful positive attitude towards any task he takes on: When in the lab, he can accomplish the vital but mind-numbing tasks with a smile on his face and with encouraging words to his fellow lab mates. Outside his lab, he goes beyond his academic requirements by visiting grade schools and bringing STEM projects to … Read more
- The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship Winner: Shannon LeeShannon Lee (A20) has an exceptional record of public service, leadership, and academic achievement. At Tufts, she contributed bold ideas and energetic leadership as a TCU Senator for three years and President in her senior year, making important, tangible improvements to student life for student populations traditionally underrepresented in higher education. She created the “Swipe it … Read more
- The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship Winner: Natalie H. BohmNatalie Bohm (A20) is a true scholar in Mathematics and Physics and has performed research at Princeton, University of Chicago and at Tufts. She is equally distinguished for her dedication to helping others feel their own intellectual spark, loving to talk with other students about Math, and bringing mathematics to incarcerated students through the Tufts … Read more
- The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship Winner: Paul B. HenjesPaul Henjes (A20) is a double major in Sociology & Environmental Studies with excellent academic achievement. As coordinator of Tufts’ Eco-Representative (Eco-Rep) program, Paul recruited, hired, trained and managed 20 fellow students to encourage environmentally responsible behavior in the residence halls. He is a good communicator both in this role and as a Teaching Assistant where he … Read more
- The Cowdery Memorial Scholarship Winner: Alexandra H. LeeAlexandra Lee (A20) is an academically strong triple major in Math, Computer Science and Psychology who manages to find time to support Tufts’ students via “Ears for Peers,” including the leadership role of “Data Chair” responsible for analyzing trends in student stress. Ally also mentors kids in the Tufts’ Youth Philharmonic and has performed the roles of RA, … Read more
The Phyllis J. Karno Dean’s Award for Leadership and Academic Excellence is awarded to sophomores who have shown great promise in their academics and demonstrated leadership on or off campus. Created in loving memory of Phyllis Karno, Jackson ’79.
- The Phyllis J. Karno Dean’s Award Winner: Eoghan DowneyEoghan Downey (A22) is a Physics major who shows great promise in his academics and has demonstrated leadership on and off campus. He is also an athlete, competing with the Tufts rowing team. In the classroom and research lab, he has been an outstanding team member, naturally becoming the leader of groups he works in, yet … Read more
- The Phyllis J. Karno Dean’s Award Winner: Alejandra MacayaAlejandra Macaya (A22) is double majoring in Environmental Studies and International Relations, and her classroom contributions raise discussions to a higher level while modeling cultural sensitivity and awareness. Her passion for the environment and social justice motivated her to join Students for Environmental Awareness (SEA), One for the World, and the Tufts Daily. Last summer she mapped … Read more
- The Phyllis J. Karno Dean’s Award Winner: Kathryn LazarKathryn Lazar (E22) is a Chemical Engineering major who prioritized taking a leadership role in an organization that positively impacts the lives of others, and she discovered the Society of Women Engineers (a.k.a. SWE). As a sophomore, she took on co-planning Tufts’ participation in SWE’s annual conference by sending twelve female engineering majors to California. Elected … Read more