- American University of Armenia, Yerevan, Armenia: President (2010 – present).
- Tufts University, Medford, MA: Professor and Chair, Department of Mathematics (2000 – present, promoted to rank of Professor in 2003, Chair from 2006-2010); Adjunct Professor, Department of Computer Science (2003 – present); Adjunct Professor, Department of Physics (2010 – present).
- Boston University, Boston, MA: Research Associate Professor, Center for Computational Science and Department of Physics (1994 – 2003).
- Thinking Machines Corporation, Cambridge, MA: Senior Scientist, Mathematical Sciences Research Group (1986 – 1994).
- Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, Livermore, CA: Physicist, Plasma Theory Group (1978 – 1986).
- École Normale Supérieure, Paris, France: Visiting Researcher (7 April – 7 May 2008).
- Peking University, Beijing, China: Visiting Professor, School of Engineering, gave half-semester course entitled “Topological Fluid Dynamics” (5 November – 12 December 2007).
- University College London: EPSRC Visiting Fellow, Centre for Computational Science, Department of Chemistry (2002-present).
- University of California, Berkeley: Visiting Professor, Department of Physics (1996 – 1997).
- International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy: Visiting Scientist, Condensed Matter Division (Summer, 1996).
- Schlumberger Cambridge Research Centre, Cambridge, UK: Consultant (1994 – 1998).
- University of California, Davis: Research Scientist, Department of Applied Science (1995).
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Plasma Fusion Center: Visiting Scientist (1994 – 1995).
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Laboratory for Computer Science: Visiting Scientist, Information Mechanics Group (1993 – 1994).
- University of California, Davis: Doctor of Philosophy degree, Department of Applied Science and Engineering (1980 – 1986, degree conferred in March, 1987). Thesis research was conducted primarily at the University of California at Berkeley and Lawrence Berkeley Laboratory.
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology: Bachelor of Science degree, Physics; Master of Science degree, Nuclear Engineering (1973 – 1978, both degrees conferred in 1978). Thesis research was carried out at the M.I.T. Plasma Fusion Center. Graduate traineeship from U.S. Department of Energy (1977-1978).
Awards and Honors
- Distinguished Scholar Award of Tufts University Faculty Research and Awards Committee (2010).
- Co-recipient of Department of Energy Innovative and Novel Computational Impact on Theory and Experiment (INCITE) award (2008).
- Elected as a Foreign Member of the National Academy of Sciences of the Republic of Armenia (2008).
- Work on Grid Computing featured on web site of British Embassy to the U.S. See:
- Co-recipient of HPC Challenge award for Most Innovative Data-Intensive Computation, Supercomputing 2003, sponsored by the Association for Computing Machinery (2003)
- Recipient of Undergraduate Initiative in Teaching (UNITE) award, College of Arts, Sciences and Engineering, Tufts University (2002)
- Elected to Fellowship of the American Physical Society (2000)
- Elected secretary-treasurer of the American Physical Society Division of Computational Physics (1995-1997); reelected (1998-2000)
- Patent number 7,343,555, “System and Method for Delivery of Documents over a Computer Network,” with J. Ko and C. Traynor, 11 March 2008.
- Member, editorial board of Journal of Computational Science (Elsevier, 2009 – present).
- Guest Editor of two special issues on Scientific Applications of Grid Computing, Computing in Science and Engineering, (September/October and November/December 2005).
- Member, editorial board of Physica A (2001 – present)
- Member, editorial board of Computing in Science and Engineering (2001 – present)
- Book Review Editor, Computing in Science and Engineering (2003 – 2005)
- Member, editorial board of International Journal of Modern Physics C – Physics and Computers (1997 – present)
Selected Funded Grants
- NSF Major Research Instrumentation program, “Acquisition of a Scientific Visualization Facility” (2006-2009).
- NSF, Computing Division (2005-2006), “Cross-Site Runs and Computational Steering,” subcontracted to Argonne National Laboratory.
- ARO, Physics Division, Quantum Information Science, basic research grant (2004-2007).
- AFOSR, Directorate of Mathematics and Space Sciences, Division of Computational Mathematics, basic research grant (1995-1996); renewed (1997-1998); renewed (1999-2000); renewed (2001-2003); renewed (2004-2007).
- DARPA QuIST grant subcontract for postdoc position (2002-2006), subcontracted to Texas A&M University.
- NSF PACI/NRAC grant of supercomputer time from Pittsburgh Supercomputer Center (2003-2005).
- NATO travel grant (1995-1996); renewed (1997-1998).
Selected Professional Service
- Member Program Committee, “Challenges of Large Applications in Distributed Environments (CLADE),” to be held in conjunction with the 18th International Symposium on High Performance Distributed Computing (HPDC-18), Munich, Germany (9-10 June 2009).
- Member Program Committee for the International Workshop on the Simulation of Multiphysics Multiscale Systems (2005 – present).
- Member Organizing Committee, “Plasma Theory, Wave Kinetics, and Nonlinear Dynamics,” University of California Berkeley, Berkeley, California (5-7 October 2007)
- Participant, National Science Foundation Visualization Workshop, Arlington, Virginia (27-28 September 2007)
- Participant, National Science Foundation Cyber-Fluids Workshop, Arlington, Virginia (19-20 July 2007)
- Chair of Visiting Assessment Committee, Center for Computational Science, Boston University (September, 2005)
- Program Review panel member, U.S. Department of Energy, Albuquerque, New Mexico (May, 2005)
- Organizing committee, International Conference on the Discrete Simulation of Fluids: member (1996-1997); chair (1997-1998); member (1998-1999); member (2002-present); chair of local organizing committee (2004)
- Member of Nicholas Metropolis Award Committee, Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society (2002-2005), chair (2003-2004)
- Member of Fellowship Committee, Division of Computational Physics, American Physical Society (2002)
- Member of Program Committee of the Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO-99)
- Member of APS organizing committee for Conference on Computational Physics (CCP99), March, 1999, Atlanta, Georgia
- Member of APS organizing committee for Physics Computing ’97, August 25-28, 1997, Santa Cruz, California
- Member of American Mathematical Society, American Physical Society, Mathematical Association of America, and Sigma Xi
Selected Service within University
- Faculty representative to Information Technology Advisory Council (2008-present).
- Principal Investigator, Center for Scientific Visualization, Tufts University (inaugurated on 8 February 2008).
- Member, Faculty Subcommittee for Visiting Lecturer Selection, Tufts Experimental College (April 2007)
- Member of advisory committee to the Dean of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences (2007).
- Chair of the Department of Mathematics (2006-present)
- Faculty representative to Tufts University Information Technology Council (2005-2006).
- Member of Tufts University Faculty Research and Award Committee (2001-2006).
- Member of Tufts University Scholarship Committee (2003-present).
- Member of Curriculum or Graduate Committee, Department of Mathematics (continuous basis).
- Chair of Hiring Committees, Tufts University Department of Mathematics (2003-2004 and 2005-2006).
- Speaker at events for prospective students held by Office of Undergraduate Admissions, Tufts University (2004 and 2005).