(Fletcher ’89, Harvard Law School ’89)
Brian Ganson is Head, Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement, a hub for research and reflection on the prevention and resolution of conflict. He holds appointments with the University of Stellenbosch Business School, the University of Cape Town Graduate School of Business, and the Center on Conflict, Development and Peacebuilding of the Graduate Institute Geneva.
Brian engages with human rights advocates, peacebuilders, governments, community advocates, multinational companies, and other international actors as a consultant, researcher, educator, evaluator, and mediator. His work focuses on the intersection of the private sector, conflict, and development in peacebuilding and other fragile contexts, applying the lenses of management and leadership for complex environments; policy related to the private sector in conflict prone environments; and third party roles and institutions for managing conflict.
Among numerous publications, Brian recently authored the chapter “Plumbing for Peace” in Indivisible: Global Leaders on Shared Security; co-authored the book, Business and Conflict in Fragile States: The Case for Pragmatic Solutions; and co-authored the report, “A Seat at the Table: Capacities and Limitations of Private Sector Peacebuilding”.
- Plumbing for Peace. In Indivisible: Global Leaders on Shared Security (pp. 193-203) (2018)
- Business and Conflict in Fragile States: The Case for Pragmatic Solutions (2016)
- Management in Complex Environments: Questions for Leaders (2013)
Research & Articles:
- A Seat at the Table: Capacities and Limitations of Private Sector Peacebuilding (2019)
- Companies in fragile contexts: Redefining social investment (Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement Working Paper Series 2018)
- Access to remedy through consensual processes (Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement Working Paper Series 2018)
- Unpacking the puzzle of business (not) for peace (Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement Working Paper Series 2017)
- The Political Economy of Fragility: Business, Conflict, and Peace in Sierra Leone. Co-author with Herbert M’cleod (Africa Centre for Dispute Settlement Working Paper Series 2017)
- Study of Operational Experience of Business Environment Reform Programming in Fragile and Conflict-Affected States. Co-author with Achim Wennmann and John Luiz (London: DIFD, 2017)