International Student Visa

As a non-US citizen or permanent resident enrolled in a degree granting program with a residential component, international GMAP students may need to obtain a visa in order to enter the US to participate in the GMAP residency. Most GMAP international students obtain an F-1 student visa. In order to begin the F-1 student visa process, you will need to apply for a Form I-20 visa certificate from the Tufts International Center. We encourage you to start the I-20 application process as early as possible because visa application and waiting times can be lengthy, depending on your country and location.

Form I-20 and the F-1 visa may not be needed if you have another type of US visa that allows you to enter the US and participate in the GMAP program as a degree-seeking student. DO NOT enter the United States on a B-1/B-2 Visitor Visa. The B-1/B-2 Visa does not permit full-time degree study.

If you have any questions about the student visa process, please contact the International Center at