The new plant currently under construction is on Boston Avenue just south of Dowling Hall and will replace the aging, 60 year old, existing plant, which will be demolished when the new plant is up and running. The Central Energy Plant will provide electricity, steam, hot water for heating, and chilled water for cooling to the upper campus and the new Science and Engineering Complex. This project is part of the University’s commitment to sustainability and modernization of our infrastructure.
Some of the new facility’s features include:
- A cogeneration plant, which will provide 4 MWs of power, reduce energy costs for the Medford campus by approximately 20%. The university is taking a fresh approach to greenhouse emission analysis to be posted in the near future.
- Three new high-efficiency steam boilers, which will replace the less efficient boilers in the existing plant
- Efficient chillers and cooling towers, which will provide air conditioning to the new Science and Engineering Complex, Tisch, and can be expanded to serve additional buildings in the future
- Increased reliability of the electrical power supply to the Medford campus
- A glass façade, which will allow the Tufts and Medford communities to see what is happening inside this modern facility
- Landscaping with native plants
The project is schedule to be completed by spring of 2017.Regular construction and logistics email updates are available by subscribing here . If you have any questions regarding the CEP or its construction progess, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Construction updates can also be found here.
Tufts engages construction mitigation specialists to minimize negative impacts due to construction of this project. CSL Consulting’s Ed LeFlore and his team, in collaboration with campus project administration and Community Relations, have begun proactively planning for the busy construction period ahead. The mitigation group will regularly monitor job sites, openly communicate with all stakeholders, and work with Tufts staff to develop innovative solutions to complex construction issues and community concerns.