Congratulations to D23’s Ashley Makala and Gabe Perez for Receiving the 2023 Presidential Award for Civic Life!
Gabe and Ashley:
We are so proud of you!
Your work to advance civic life and community engagement in your four years at TUSDM has been outstanding.
It is with great pride that I share with you the recipients of the 2023 Presidential Award for Civic Life.
For over twenty years, Tufts has recognized some of our most remarkable graduate and undergraduate students with the University’s highest honor for outstanding civic leadership and service. This year, we honor 22 individuals for their achievements: 12 undergraduate students and 10 graduate students. Together, they represent almost every school at Tufts, as well as a diverse range of academic disciplines and types of civic engagement.
Whether advocating for the unique and complex needs of students on campus, reshaping the narrative of what empathy and leadership looks like in healthcare, or combatting social isolation and food insecurity among community members, this year’s award recipients have tackled complex challenges with innovation and humility. I encourage you to check out the full list of award winners and learn more about their amazing work on Tisch College’s website.
Many incredible students were nominated this year, and selecting the winners was as difficult as ever. Thank you to Tisch College and the University-wide review committee for their thoughtful participation, perspectives, and collaboration. And a special thank you to all those who submitted or contributed to a nomination. Together, you are an integral part of this tradition.
I am continuously inspired by our students’ achievements and the impact they have on campus and beyond, as I am sure you are as well. Please join me in congratulating all the 2023 Presidential Award winners, whose service to our communities has helped create a better, brighter world.
Congratulations to the 22 student recipients of the 2023 Presidential Awards for Civic Life!
School of Arts and Sciences
· Siwaar Abouhala A23, Community Health
· Ariel Derby A23, Sociology
· Shubhecchha Dhaurali A23, Community Health
· Zachary R. Ferretti A23, Political Science
· Arielle Galinsky A24, Biopsychology
· Jaime Givens A23, Africana Studies
· Carolina Hidalgo-McCabe A23, International Relations
· Fatima Lawan A23, Biology
· BR Rose A23, Community Health
· Isha Vazirani A23, Cognitive Brain Science
· Waideen Wright A23, Political Science
School of Engineering
· Enrique Ernesto Rodriguez E23, Biomedical Engineering
· Briana Lino EG25, Biotechnology Engineering (PhD)
Graduate School of Arts and Sciences
· Johnny Shively AG23, Urban & Env Policy & Plan (MA)
Graduate School of Biomedical Science
· Michael Rist GBS23, Immunology (PhD)
The Fletcher School
· Carlos Irisarri F23, International Relations (MALD)
Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy
· Aarti Singh N23, Agric Food & Enviro (MS)
School of Medicine
· Katherine G. Stevenson M23, M.D.
· Ganeev Singh M23, M.D.
School of Dental Medicine
- Ashley Belita Makala D23, D.M.D.
- Gabriel Perez D23, D.M.D.
Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine
- Alexandra Awad V24, D.V.M.