Eating Disorders: Recovery

Good morning good morning!

In a follow up to last week’s post we are going to talk about some tips for eating disorder recovery.  These tips apply to recovery from anorexia, bulimia, binge-eating, and EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified.)

1. The first and most important thing you can do is to ask for help.  This is never easy – it’s difficult to accept that you are struggling and admit it to someone else.  But it is necessary to beginning the road to recovery.  Before you can deal with the mental aspect of recovering from an eating disorder, you have to deal with any physical repercussions your eating disorder has incurred.  Then you can tackle reframing your thoughts and rebuilding your body positivity and self esteem.
  2. Talk about it.  To your parents, friends, doctors, whoever you feel comfortable with.  And that’s key too – you deserve a safe and comfortable environment to share your feelings.  If someone is trying to shame you for your feelings or experiences, they don’t deserve to hear from you.  And be kind to yourself in this process.  Don’t shame or bully yourself – your thoughts, feelings, and experiences are worthy and valid.
  3. Recovering from an eating disorder is a lot about retraining your brain and how you think about food and your body.  This takes practice and a lot of stopping and rephrasing your thoughts. For example, if your first thought is “no, I shouldn’t eat that, I don’t want to be fat,” number one, that’s ok.  Recovery is a process.  Number two, stop and rephrase. “Yes I should eat that, it will give my body energy and nutrients and make me strong.”  If you look in the mirror and think “I’m not happy with my body,” try “Look at everything my body does for me – it carries me everywhere, it breathes for me, etc.”
  4. Sometimes the negative thoughts are difficult to stop or rephrase.  At these times, healthy distractions can save the day.  Journaling, listening to music, doing something with friends, playing with pets, watching a movie, reading a book, etc.
  5. The last key point I want to touch on is triggers.  In the beginning of your recovery, avoiding triggers is probably the best way to go.  In the long run however, avoiding triggers isn’t very effective.  Eventually it will be helpful to identify your triggers and your emotional response to them, and slowly work to be able to tolerate those triggers.

Stay happy and healthy Jumbos, and good luck with recovery! You can do this!

“I am beginning to measure myself in strength, not pounds.  Sometimes in smiles.” –Laurie Halse Anderson