Conquering the Midterm Stress Monster

Good morning beautiful souls,

Another midterm season is well and truly upon us, which means it’s time for another post on how to de-stress and hold onto your sanity during this whirlwind of papers, tests, and seemingly endless deadlines.

First, my pretty standard disclaimer/reminder, because I think it isn’t said enough – your self worth is not defined by your grades.  You are so much more than a GPA, a letter or a number on SIS, or a set of guidelines on a syllabus.  Be hardworking and be ambitious, but please please please don’t forget that you are a force of nature – with or without perfect grades.

Now, for how to de-stress:

1. Take advantage of the puppies in Tisch.  A couple of amazing service dogs will be in Tisch this Friday, the 4th, and oh my gosh if you have the time definitely go.  I don’t what it is – one of those mystical, unexplainable forces of the universe – but it’s nearly impossible to feel sad or stressed out when you’re petting a dog.  It’s just how the world works.
  2. Sleep – even if you practically have to schedule it.  I sound like a broken record about this to my friends, but sleep is seriously so crucial.  8 hours or more is ideal, 7 is ok.  Try not to fall below 6.
  3. Balance is key.  I recognize telling ya’ll to sleep AND eat healthy AND make time for self care, all while studying, is extremely difficult and you’re rolling your eyes at me and how ridiculous that notion is right now.  So hear me out – if you can’t do everything (and really, who among us can?) try just to sacrifice one at a time. You know you won’t have time to get a full night’s sleep tonight? Focus on eating healthy meals.  You don’t have the time or motivation to venture to Dewick so you’re having a vending machine catered meal? Shoot for more sleep.  Things start to spiral out of control when you are consistently neglecting to take care of yourself on all of these fronts.
  4. Listen to music.  Even when you don’t have time for a lot of self care – i.e. a relaxing bubble bath or going for a run – listening to your favorite music (something you can do while you study) will help you maintain a little shred of sanity.
  5. Finally, give yourself a break.  Time-wise, sure, but also mentally.  You’re only human and there are only so many hours in a day, and that’s ok.  You’re gonna be fine.

“All the suffering, stress, and addiction comes from not realizing you already are what you are looking for.” –Jon Kabat-Zinn