Spring Spotlight: Middlesex Fells

Good morning Jumbos!

I hope you are all readjusting to the grind of the semester – I don’t know about you but my brain is definitely still on Spring Break.  The bright side is that the weeks until summer vacation are slowly but surely counting down and the weather is getting nicer out.

If you are looking for a place to de-stress, make some time for self care, or get a little exercise out in the fresh air and sunlight, I highly recommend Middlesex Fells.  The fells are a great place to go for a walk, take a bike ride, or walk a dog.  There is a web of several different hiking trails, none of which are overly strenuous.  There are also a few look out towers with great views of the Fells and the Greater Boston Area.

As someone from a rural part of the country, the Fells offered a really unique hiking experience.  You get to immerse yourself in the woods and nature, but the reservation is cut down the middle by the highway and rocky overlooks hold a view of the city and the bridge from a distance.  It’s a really cool mix of nature and the city.

p1000591

Source

There are two entrances, the east and west.  The west entrance is actually in Medford, and you can walk, bike, or take a bus to it.  The east entrance can be reached via Oak Grove Station on the Orange Line.

I recommend making a day of it – packing a lunch, a blanket, and water and heading out with a few friends.  It’s a great way to escape the hustle and bustle of the city and ‘burbs, and to forget for a little while the stress of school.

2815356-Middlesex_Fells_11-24-02_09

Source

“The mountains were there and so was I.”  –Maurice Herzog