September Slump, October Opportunities?

Hi y’all and welcome back to the blog!  

September is, in a word, overwhelming. For new students, strictly the fact that you are new is hard. There are so many unfamiliar situations to navigate, both socially and academically. Even for returning students, the beginning of the school year is chaotic. It’s true that we were all together only four months ago, but four months is 100% enough time to forget what it is like to be a college student. To make things worse, as soon as midterm season begins, it gets cold. It is SO hard to study for hours when all you want to do is curl up in your dorm under 5 blankets possibly with hot chocolate and possibly with some Brooklyn 99 (or maybe I’m projecting?) We get you; we have all been there. But guess what, folks? You’re done with September! You’ve made it through!

October, as the title of this post implies, is full of opportunities. Even though September is a time of sort of this uncontrollable transition, October, I would argue, is a time for meaningful change. As the leaves fall and the rain washes away memories of the summer, October presents us with a new start- if we want it. In those two weeks that most of us have in between midterms part 1 and midterms part 2, we can look back at September and figure out what worked, what didn’t work, and maybe even what worked but what probably should be changed. We now understand how our classes are structured and can adjust our study habits accordingly. We are also well on our way to figuring out (or remembering) where we fit in the social scene on campus while also acknowledging when it is time to take some time for ourselves. Don’t get me wrong, in no way am I saying that October will be perfect. Stress in college is inevitable, and unfortunately, so are the consequences associated with it. There are a lot of reasons to get down about October, especially since during it, all of us have a million and one assignments due at the same time. However, given that we are an entire month wiser and have somewhat adjusted to our new routines, it’s quite possible that October will be better than September.

For those of you who had a great September, then I hope that October is even better for you. For those of you whose September did not go as planned, then here’s to a great October. I am not one to pass up on an opportunity for some alliteration, so I’d like to say that I am feeling very Optimistic about October (that was a stretch- I know). If we can assist in any way, please shoot us a text(or call us at (617) 627-3888. Also remember to keep checking the blog! Exciting things are happening soon… possibly some anonymous testimonials from Ears about Ears4Peers? Stay tuned.