BAA Job Posting For Spring 2021
Reports to: Academic Dean
The Boston Arts Academy is looking for an Math MCAS teacher for Feb 22 – May 21, 2021.
The Boston Arts Academy is Boston’s only public high school for the visual and performing arts, providing a competitive artistic and academic program for just under 500 students. It is a joint project of the Professional Arts Consortium, Inc., ( Berklee College of Music, Boston Architectural Center, Boston Conservatory at Berklee, Emerson College, Massachusetts College of Art and Design, School of the Museum of Fine Arts at Tufts, and New England Conservatory) and the Boston Public Schools. Boston Arts Academy serves as a laboratory and a beacon for artistic and academic innovation, preparing a diverse community of aspiring artist scholars to be successful in their college or professional careers and to be engaged members of a democratic society.
BAA is also a Pilot School and a member of the Boston Pilot Schools Network, a group of Boston Public Schools that, by union contract, have been granted increased autonomy and flexibility to be laboratories of educational innovation. This includes the right to extend the school day and year for both faculty and students.
- Prepare MCAS Math skills lessons, under the guidance of the Math department chair and Academic Dean.
- Hours: 1 position: 11am – 3:30 five days per week; 1 position – 12:15 – 3:30 five days per week.
- Assist in Algebra class 11:00 – 12noon.
- Provide small or large group instruction daily:
- 12:15 – 12:45
- 12:45 – 1:15
- 2:40 – 3:30
- Possibly 3:30 – 4pm
- Instruction is currently virtual/through zoom
- Assess students’ skills and assignments.
- Communicate assessment results with Algebra teachers and BAA administration.
- Take attendance.
- Meet weekly with the Academic Dean.
- Some college coursework.
- Knowledge in or experience with the MCAS exam and skills required for proficiency.
- Available to work in the U.S.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Teacher Licensure in Mathematics.
- Familiarity with or proficiency in tech tools used to support remote learning.
- Ability to work with students with disabilities and language needs.
- Demonstration of competency in spoken and written English.
- Ability to exercise discretion in handling confidential information.
- Commitment to the arts as an important element in a complete education.
- Commitment to cultural, ethnic and linguistic diversity as an important element in a complete education.
- Fluency in another language other than English, particularly Spanish or Haitian Creole.
- Familiarity and experience with urban settings.