Position Type: Part-Time, exempt position
Dates: January 3rd, 2023 to June 15th, 2023
The Fessenden School is an all-boys independent day and boarding school serving 525 students in Pre-Kindergarten through 9th Grade in West Newton, MA. The Fessenden School’s mission is to cultivate each boy’s talents and develop in balance his character, mind, and body in an inclusive and joyful community. For more than 100 years, The Fessenden School has offered state-of-the-art facilities, curriculum, and programs specifically designed to meet the educational needs of boys.
The Fessenden School seeks a Percussion Ensemble Teacher to lead two sections of the Middle School Percussion Ensemble and two sections of the Upper School Percussion Ensemble for the remainder of the 2022-2023 school year. This position is part-time and will end on June 13, 2023. Each ensemble meets twice per week for 50 minutes. Students will study a variety of percussion repertoire from around the world and each section will prepare a piece for the Spring Concert performance in May. The teacher will collaborate with the other Music faculty team members to plan and execute those concert performances. The teacher will be responsible for assessing students twice during the Spring Semester, crafting a narrative comment and assigning an effort grade in March, and assigning a final Effort Grade in June.
The essential duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Teach eight 50-minute Percussion Ensemble classes per week in the Middle and Upper School
- Lead the Percussion Ensembles in performance at the Middle School Spring Concert and Upper School Spring Concert in late May
- Partner with other members of the music faculty team to coordinate consistency in the curriculum and concert programming
- Maintain regular and reliable attendance
- Maintain current CPR/AED & first aid certification and child abuse prevention training
- Other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Music Performance or Music Education
- Two years of classroom music teaching experience
- Enthusiasm and communication skills to engage boys and build meaningful relationships
- Strong supervisory and leadership skills to manage and control a classroom
- Ability to develop and provide differentiated instruction to meet learning needs of a range of students
- Ability to perform critical thinking, organization, prioritization and problem solving with minimal supervision
- Ability to serve in a diverse community of colleagues, students and parents
- Demonstrated commitment to inclusion, social justice, diversity and equity
- A commitment to boys and boys’ education
- Successful criminal background check, and pre-employment physical examination
- Master’s degree in Music Performance or Music Education
- Teaching certification
Physical Demands and Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those that are essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. The requirements for performing the duties of this position are as follows:
- Frequently required to walk, stand, sit, talk, and hear
- Regularly required to bend, stoop, crouch and/or kneel
- Occasionally required to lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds
- Majority of work is performed in a school/classroom environment, and the noise level in the environment is usually moderate.
Submit an application through Fessenden’s Career Site https://www.fessenden.org/about/employment. A cover letter, resume and contact information for three references are required.