You can download a one-pager New User Checklist.
If you are a faculty member new to Elements, the first thing is to review and update your PROFILE.
There are 5 simple steps:
- Review and Update Your Profile
- Review your Teaching Activities
- Review your Grants Activities
- Claim your identifiers and Review your Publications
- Add Your Professional Activities
STEP 1: REVIEW AND UPDATE YOUR PROFILE
- Login to Elements (https://faculty.tufts.edu) with your Tufts UTLN and password. Note: Access is currently restricted to faculty members at the pilot schools. Once you are logged in, click on your photo or the “Edit your Profile” link to go your profiles page.
- Review your information: Some profile information, such as your appointment title, addresses and phone number are populated from HR/FIS systems. Data populated by feed are locked. They cannot be changed in Elements and must be updated in the source systems. If there are inaccurate data, please refer to the contact page.
- Click on the “Edit Profile” button at the top right of your profile. You can edit a field by clicking on the pencil icon.
You can edit the following fields:
- Overview statement
- Fields of Research
- Non-Tufts academic appointments
- Non-Academic employment
- Education, Certifications and Post Graduate Training
- Language Competencies
- Website URLs
STEP 2: REVIEW YOUR TEACHING ACTIVITIES
Go to Menu -> Teaching Activities to review your “course taught” records.
Data source: Approximately 10 years of courses taught data are populated from SIS system.
If you have other teaching activities not captured in SIS, such as courses taught outside of Tufts, you can add them to your profile. Go to Menu -> Teaching Activities -> Add a Teaching Activity. For step-by-step instruction, please review the training guide.
STEP 3: REVIEW YOUR GRANTS ACTIVITIES
Go to Menu -> Grants to review your grants awards populated from research administration system.
Data source: Approximately 10 years of grants award data are populated from Research Administration (RAS) system.
If you have other grants activities not captured by Tufts system, such as other grants, you can add them to your profile. Go to Menu -> Grants -> Add a new grant. For step-by-step instruction, please review the training guide.
STEP 4: CLAIM YOUR IDENTIFIERS AND REVIEW YOUR PUBLICATIONS
The Elements system comes with a powerful publication harvesting engine. As part of the project, we partnered with the librarians. As part of the collaboration, the librarians on the project team reviewed and curated the publications of the pilot group by claiming your known identifiers and publications associated with those identifiers, as well as setting up publication search settings for optimal harvesting publication results.
1. Review and claim your identifiers. Go to Menu -> Publications -> Automatic Claiming. Add or claim your identifiers. The system will then automatically claim publications associated with those identifiers.
2. Go to Menu -> Publications to review your harvested publications. Accept or reject publications in your queue.
3. If there is missing publication, you can add to your profile or import to the system. For step-by-step instruction, please review the training guide.
STEP 5: ADD YOUR PROFESSIONAL ACTIVITIES
Go to Menu -> Professional Activities to manually add your professional activities.
As part of roll-out, some of your professional activities may be added for you based CV (this may vary by school). Professional activities need to be manually entered. To add professional activities, go to Menu -> Professional Activities -> Add a New Professional Activity. For step-by-step instruction, please review the training guide.
- Please add at least one past year of activities in support of the annual faculty activity reporting process. For guidance on how to input professional activities, refer to the What Goes Where Guide.
FACULTY ACTIVITY REPORTING
If your school is participating in the Faculty Activity Reporting, please refer to the Faculty Activity Reporting section to learn more about the form.
- For your school’s rollout timeframe, please review the rollout timeline for more information.