The first thing to do when you access Elements is to populate your profile with relevant and up to date information. This section will walk through that process.
- Login to elements. You should be directed to the main page.
- Select ‘Edit Profile’, located directly underneath the profile image (or image placeholder).
- Faculty Appointments are sourced from FIS core data. Please contact the faculty affairs officer at the school if any corrections are needed.
- Phone numbers: You can update your business phone number by going to White pages and updating CAMP phone type.
- Log in to Self Service https://access.tufts.edu/software/eserve
- click on the link to ‘edit campus phone’; this brings you to the Tufts White Pages
- another way to update CAMP phone type is to log in to https://tufts.edu and click on the ‘Directory’ option.
You will see five tabs that separate the top section from the bottom:
These are hyperlinks to sections on the page, clicking them will jump the page to the appropriate section. Here we are focusing on the ‘About’ section, the others are covered later. You want to fill in the information for the following sub-sections contained in ‘About’:
- Fields of Research
- Academic Appointments
- Non-Academic Employment
- Tufts appointments (non-editable)
- Academic appointments
- Non-academic employment
- Postgraduate Training
- Language competencies
- Mailing addresses
- Web addresses and social media
The overview section should be a brief introduction to either yourself, or for the user that you are impersonating. This field should present relevant information about the user.
- Click the pencil icon to make this an editable field.
- Enter a brief introduction/high level overview of yourself or the user. Keep it to a few sentences for right now.
- Save using the green check mark.
Fields of Research
This section needs to be populated with any and all of the research a faculty member specializes in. Fields of Research can be added and removed at any time. The fields available are provided by the Australian Bureau of Census and cannot be customized.
- Click the pencil icon to edit the field.
- A pop-up menu will display. The left column contains all the fields of research available for selection. Clicking an item will move it to the right column, which is what will display on the profile. Clicking an item already in the right column will remove it.
- Search for your “fields of research” using the search bar. Add it to the right hand column.
- Click ‘Save’ in the bottom right.
- The results will display under the heading.
If you run into a situation where the specific Field of Research is not listed, try to find the closest match. Again, there is no modification or customization possible in this section
Academic and Non-Academic Employment
Together these fields comprise a faculty member’s complete employment background.
Tufts Appointments is a non-editable field.
Otherwise, they are edited in the same way.
- Click ‘Add Academic Appointment’.
- From the list that displays, click the blue drop down arrow to expand the section.
- Fill out the mandatory fields (noted with a red asterisk) and as many of the other fields as you can.
- Repeat the process for ‘Non Academic Appointment’.
- The results will be added to the list(s).
The fields that display will be slightly different depending on whether or not it is an Academic Appointment or a Non-Academic Employment, but the process is identical.
The education portion contains three sections – Degree, Certifications, and Postgraduate training. As these fields are filled in, the ‘Institution Name’ field may begin to auto populate. If the institution is not listed in the auto-populated list, it needs to be manually added.
- Add a Degree by clicking (predictably) the ‘Add a degree’ button.
- From the list that displays, click the blue drop down to expand the section.
- Fill out the mandatory fields. In this instance it is a good idea to populate as many of the fields as you can, specifically Field of study and Thesis title (if applicable).
- Click the green check mark to save.
- Repeat this process once for Certifications and Postgraduate training.
You will be able to add any languages the faculty member might have in this section.
- Select ‘Add a language competency’
- Type your “language” into the search field and select it from the list.
- Choose your competency level that appears to the right of the language.
- Click the green check mark to save.
This is the final section under ‘About’. Here you will be able to see your business address, as well as add external links to web pages and social media sites.
Business addresses cannot be updated. They are coming from PeopleSoft “LOCATION”. It is GPS location of a departments office that also used for HR purposes such as payroll.
Web addresses and social media
- Select ‘Add a web address’.
- Choose a type and add a label (optional)
- Enter your URL.
Click the green check mark to save.