Full-time Lab Technician Position
A full-time lab technician position available at the University of Florida
The Qiu Lab of “Landscape Ecology and Sustainability Science” (http://jiangxiaoqiu.weebly.com/) in the School of Forest Resources and Conservation at the University of Florida is seeking a full-time lab technician. Research in the lab is interdisciplinary and broadly falls into landscape ecology, ecosystem service, global change ecology, and sustainability science, and uses approaches integrating field observation and experiment, landscape analysis, remote sensing, biophysical modeling, data synthesis, and social sciences. The Qiu Lab is based at Fort Lauderdale Research and Education Center, Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences (IFAS), University of Florida.
Position is open for immediate start. Funding will be available for multiple years, and annual renewal of contract is contingent upon satisfactory performance.
Compensation is $32,000 per year with comprehensive benefits (including retirement, health insurance, etc.). For more information, please see http://hr.ufl.edu/benefits/
Job Summary Primary job responsibilities include:
(1) Organize day-to-day lab functioning (e.g., order processing, reimbursement, categorizing lab supplies, equipment and samples)
(2) Conduct field work related to particular research projects
(3) Perform laboratory analysis (e.g., processing soil, water and plant samples)
(4) Data collection and entry, organize large datasets for analysis, and perform basic spatial or statistical analysis
(5) Assist graduate students’ research projects and supervise undergraduate students working in the lab
(6) Participate in outreach and extension work in which the lab is involved (e.g., logistic arrangement, material preparation)
(1) BS in environmental science, biology, geography, agricultural sciences or related STEM field
(2) Ability to conduct field research
(3) Demonstrated history of dedication to lab work and accountability
(4) Experience in professional software with good analytical skills
(1) Experience with geospatial analysis, ArcGIS, or remote sensing
(2) Experience in managing a lab, including ordering lab supplies and constructing/assembling basic lab equipment
(3) Effective interpersonal and communication (oral and written) skills
If interested, please send the following materials in a single PDF file to Jiangxiao Qiu (firstname.lastname@example.org): (1) Cover letter describing general research interests and experience; (2) an updated CV/resume, and (3) list of three potential references with contact information.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until filled. Feel free to contact Jiangxiao Qiu if there are any questions.