Ed Sheeran’s Consummate Love

Ed Sheeran’s song “Thinking Out Loud” provides an example of Sternberg’s Triangle of Love. His song presents Consummate love, “The ideal form of love” which is a combination of passion, intimacy, and commitment. His lyric “And darling I will be loving you ’til we’re 70” and “baby my heart could still fall as hard at 23” expresses his commitment for the woman he is in love with. When he sings “Take me into your loving arms, Kiss me under the light of a thousand stars, Place your head on my beating heart” he expresses deep passion and lust for the woman he is referring to. He expresses an intense longing for her and wishes to be closer to her. He also expresses the third component of Sternberg’s theory which is intimacy and it is defined by connectedness or “liking”. He expresses his feelings of intimacy towards the woman he likes when he sings, “I’m thinking ’bout how people fall in love in mysterious ways, Maybe it’s all part of a plan, I’ll just keep on making the same mistakes, Hoping that you’ll understand”. Also, he expresses his liking of the woman he is referring to when he sings, “I’m thinking out loud, That maybe we found love right where we are” and “Oh me I fall in love with you every single day, And I just wanna tell you I am.” It is evident that Ed Sheeran is deeply in love with this woman and wishes to spend the rest of his life with her. It combines the trust of commitment, with the fun and lust of passion, and the closeness of being intimate. This kind of love is what people usually refer to when they think of “true love” and it’s the kind of love where you feel happy and satisfied with no matter how many years go by.